Chainsaw folks are classy people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
We all talk about saws and such on here and thats a good thing. I however find people much more interesting and fun. Ya never know what may happen somewhere in the world. More so you never know if someone you know is going to be a part of something big. That said I was reading the news about the terrible earthquake in Haiti. To my delight and surprize one of my very own customers is going there to help. He's a member of the Fairfax fire company. Great guy. I've shot the bull with him many times. Its good to see his picture in the news doing something worthwhile, helping others.

attachment.php

Thats him in the middle heading to the help the earthquake victims, good on him I say. I'll know what our next conversation will be the next time he stops in,:clap::clap::clap:

you gotta admire people like that.

I agree. He's no young cat either. He's semi retired as a matter of fact. Great guy to talk to. He has keen sense of humor to boot. Apparently has a big heart to go along with it, :clap::clap::clap:

Great guys, those Stihl owners....:clap:

LOL, he has a 036 he's been using for years. I keep it up to snuff for him, don't charge him hardly anything, his stories are well worth the minor repairs.

He was telling me how him and a cop got into it at a diner. Apparently him and a freind were eating supper and a ambulance pulls up in front of the diner door. Two guys get out and come in. They order their supper and sit down and eat. He said he didn't pay any mind to them doing that. He gets done, pays his bill and leaves. He said when he went outdside the ambulance was sitting there running, unlocked. He goes back in and gives them boys some grief. Somehow a cop gets involved and they have a all out scrap outside the diner. I asked him well who won, he goes by god I did,LOLOL

I hope your friend stays safe. I heard today on the radio that gangs in Haiti have stolen 50 tons of food and are starting to attack the aid workers. The Haitian gangs are using machetes now, but some other weapons have started to appear...Blackhawk Down, the sequel.

I have been sweating the gangs- similar dynamics to Mogadishu. Absent govt structure leads to dog eat dog.

I was in Manila in late Sept for Ondoy, tragedy brings good people together.

Payers sent for aid workeers and troops as well as the victims of the quake.

Good on this man to lend a hand.

2Door

I just read a story off the AP about those three guys. They have rescued 16 people so far, :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Here's some more guys from Fairfax heading to help. I been doing some reading and Fairfax fire sent a bunch of people there.

attachment.php

Yes, the search and rescue teams are to be commended. They have done their work under gruesome conditions. Tell your friend a big Thank You for his service. I bet he will have some good stories when he returns.

My son the sailor man is there in Haiti as well, but not on the ground. He is a machinist mate on the USS Carl Vinson.

In all of this suffering the United States and Canada are taking lead roles in providing Aid to the people of Haiti. It has been reported that the Americans are currently providing most of the relief that is getting to the Haitians. The US has about 13,000 of its troops either already there, or on there way. Canada, for its part has about 2000 and will play a lead role in reconstruction.

The US has also taken control and restored the main airport in the capital and are doing their best to keep things moving, apparently this is not enough for some people the following bolded text is from a newspaper report I read this morning

French Foreign Minister Kouchner claimed that the airport had become "an annex of Washington," according to France's ambassador to Haiti, Didier Le Bret, after the Americans diverted a French relief flight to the neighbouring Dominican Republic.

This account, however, is strongly contradicted by Duncan Dee, the chief operating officer of Air Canada. He was in the cockpit of a Boeing 767 as it delivered 22,000 kilograms of supplies for emergency relief Saturday to Port-au-Prince that had been donated by the airline.

"What I saw was extremely well-organized under very challenging circumstances," said Mr. Dee, who also listened in on all communications between ground control and aircraft. "The U.S. is not favouring its own flights.

"The big problem they are facing is space at the airport," he explained. "The second big problem is planes arriving totally unannounced seeking entry to the airport. All probably well-meaning but not anticipated or planned."

It was the Americans who got to the airport first, and who got it back up and running, even though its control tower had been badly damaged.

The aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson is close by, serving as a second airport.

I guess when things get tough, the US and Canada act and the french complain

a couple weeks ago....

He said when he went outdside the ambulance was sitting there running, unlocked. He goes back in and gives them boys some grief.

an ambulance was stolen from a hospital parking area outside emerg... seems the EMT's left it Running and Unlocked and some girl hops in and goes for a ride... $160,000.00 damage!

cause it was unlocked WITH keys in... insurance didn't cover it.

Good on him and everyone else that gives their time to help others. Not just natural disasters but in everyday life, there are so many people that dont get recognised or the credit they deserve.

Many people rely on the great and the good just so they can live their lives to the best of their ability.

There are so many unselfish people in the world that never get a mention.

Our world is centred around all the bad people do. It sells stories.

Good on you all the people that go out of their way to help others less fortunate, my respect goes out to you all and your familys.

Hi Thall,

Small world...

I was talking with a friend here at work in Vermont, and he mentioned his son is in the Fairfax Fire Dept, and is on the mission to Haiti.

He recognized a couple folks from the picture, and thought maybe his son too (standing behind your guy in the first pic).

I noticed you attached another pic, which I sent along.

Do you have any others?

Thanks!

Back