Chainsaw improvements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What would you like to see in a chainsaw improvement besides what’s offered today?

My thoughts are before I give up trying to start the gas saws and go to an electric chain saw and plug it into the nearest tree that has an electrical outlet in the forest and run an extension cord why not a small light weight battery pack for an electric start gas saw.? I’m feeling old at 68yo and I can cut but I can’t start’um. Remember those old wind up spring starters on the toro mowers? How about a pull starter with a mechanical advantage?

Or am I suppose to do nothing being retired. Being retired is the next chapter in our lives it’s not a death sentence but what you make of it. I’m not ready to sit on the front porch in a rocking chair with the dog just yet.

Don’t laugh you young guys your going to get old someday too.

There are lots of battery pack saws now. I see the city employees running around with the stihl battery pack saws.

You could always go to a nitro rc/kart starting motor. Would need to change your saw recoils to get access to the nut.
a80ef92facec168fe9658188cceb8433.jpg
33953d5c3f4446938aed04949fe734fd.jpg

My Chinese saws have an easy pull start system similar to the small stihls.
Once your used to it the saw starts real easy, you pull the pull cord slow and easy the length of the pull cord while holding the saw still.
Some guys hate these easy pull starters as you cant drop start the saw, the thing is you never need to, they pull over so easy.

Pretty surprised by the Milwaukee M18 pole saw I picked up a couple months ago.
Almost Instant chain speed and the 9.0ah battery lasts forever.
It’s taken over all the work my prunjng saws used to do.
I can shorten it down to 80” which is super useful (extends via 3’ quick-lock shafts as long as you want.... theoretically).

My buddy uses an M18 rear handle chainsaw on his landscape truck.
His comment is that it’s a bit heavy compared to the lightest gas saws...but, has plenty of power for a 16” bar and ethanol free batteries are a lot easier to find and carry than gasoline mix.
We both use tons if M18 tools.

New saw AV and air filtration, with a simple adjustable/no limiter caps carb, simple one piece electronic ignition.

Going to a dealer, is a dealer breaker.

P.S. I have some FREE 038M and 044 in the pipeline. I'll deal with older AV and air filtration, 038M a pound or two fat.

Why not a gas charged hydraulic av dampening system instead of rubber or spring av. Be like mini shocks that work for over and under cutting. Constantly keeping vibrations to none felt in the handles, only the engine would vibrate. Tooless carb adjustment or fuel injection. Auto compression release and auto advance ignition.

Steve Sidwell

Back