chainsaw info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fgilmer

Reaction score
I new so excuse any dumb questions or comments. I am in the process of building a sawmill real similar to a procut mill, I have owned two different mills in the past and sold both for different reasons. The first mill I iowened was a logosol m7. great mill. when i had it i was useing a stihl 046 on it and i have to admit it wasnt quite enough saw. My question today starts there, I want to be sure with this new mill I have enough saw. I have a husqvarna 395xp that I was going to use. Is this a good choice? Is there a better choice?

I just got off the phone with the repair shop the 395 may have problems. What about an stihl 076? Is this suitable?
very - much more torque than a 395 (111cc vs 95cc ish). A bit heavier, well a lot (read more solid:popcorn: ) but that doesn't matter when milling.

075/ 076

Great choice! Torque monsters that make good milling machines. Parts on 0505,051,075,076, TS510, and TS760 are mostly interchangeable. The air filter systems on the TS510 and TS760 will work on the 075/076. The TS model tanks hold more fuel and work on the chainsaw models too. I like them!!!

Trever

Great choice! Torque monsters that make good milling machines. Parts on 0505,051,075,076, TS510, and TS760 are mostly interchangeable. The air filter systems on the TS510 and TS760 will work on the 075/076. The TS model tanks hold more fuel and work on the chainsaw models too. I like them!!!

Trever
don't forget the MS051 and MS076!

MS051 and MS076

Do you know where I could get a new MS076? I think the closest place ito Tennessee is Mexico; that is not close at all. They do not offer them in the UK do they? Thank you.:)

Do you know where I could get a new MS076? I think the closest place ito Tennessee is Mexico; that is not close at all. They do not offer them in the UK do they? Thank you.:)

You'd have to buy a used one I believe. While all the choices are good milling saws, you need to keep in mind that milling is hard on any saw and thus parts availability and cost need to be figured in. The 395XP is the best saw out there for the money versus performance and cost of parts and availablility. A Stihl 066 is comparable also with a bit higher costs. Personally for a logosol type mill I like the big Dolmar 9010 too. :cheers:

Last edited:
Because the MS051 and MS076 are still being manufactured and sold new in other parts of the word the parts are still available. Some dealers are more helpful than others. The TS 510 and TS 760 parts also fit the 051 and 075/076 so sometimes it is just a matter of finding the right ILP to look up the parts from to find available parts.

For the few parts that are not available from a dealer or are more expensive than what one may wish to pay there is a ready supply of used parts to be found on line.

Parts for the 051/056 and 075/076 are really not a problam. they are great saws and for my money the 051 has to coolest sound of any chainsaw.

Hey Guys I got the 395 back, not as big a problem as first thought. I really appericate the info. I think I am going to set the 076 up as a second saw for the mill. im going tomorrow, to start welding every thing together for the mill, I have the machine work done, and most of the parts gathered up, maybe I will try to post pictures when im done. wish me luck
Fred

Bob,

one of my 051's has a larger tank than the other not sure how much difference between the to but it is enough that I can make it through on one tank in the larger and not always with the smaller. You may want to find out if your saw was ever equiped with a larger tank.

I dont have a problem refilling my saw while it is bolted to the mill stuck in the middle of a log. I have a gas can with a flexable plastic hose that fits in the tank. It is a bit blind as far as seeing if it is almost full and you cant actualy get the tank full but you can get the saw running again. the oil tank is another story.

051/075/076 gas filler

Talking about 076 parts, I'm chasing a fuel tank - I'd like to mod the tank so I can refuel mid slab - with the 076 laying on its side. Anyone have any leads?
Cheers

Bob,

I am researching ways to make what we are wanting (filler tube). I am looking at 90 degree elbows that are the same thread count as the gas tank's. This way you could still vent using the correct filler cap. I am trying to figure out to join it. Have a blessed day and I will let you know if I coe up with a design.

You may want to find out if your saw was ever equiped with a larger tank.

I dont have a problem refilling my saw while it is bolted to the mill stuck in the middle of a log. I have a gas can with a flexable plastic hose that fits in the tank. It is a bit blind as far as seeing if it is almost full and you cant actualy get the tank full but you can get the saw running again. the oil tank is another story.

Thanks BR, I'm pretty sure I have the large tank. I also refill mid log using a similar gas can but my wide hard logs sometimes need a full tank plus up to three partial refills and I usually end up spilling more than I like. I have no problem refilling the oil tank.

Bob,
I am researching ways to make what we are wanting (filler tube). I am looking at 90 degree elbows that are the same thread count as the gas tank's. This way you could still vent using the correct filler cap. I am trying to figure out to join it. Have a blessed day and I will let you know if I coe up with a design.
I've also looked into this. From memory the mix inlet thread is a 32 mm x 2 mm which is non standard and so will need to be cut on a lathe. I look in every plumbing store I go into to see if they have something close to that fitting that I can adapt. What concerns me about using an elbow, is the 076 will shake any fitting like crazy and I definitely do not want anything leaking. I have also though of milling an ally block which would vibe less than an elbow but a simple fitting on the side would be easier.

Anyway I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Thanks BR, I'm pretty sure I have the large tank. I also refill mid log using a similar gas can but my wide hard logs sometimes need a full tank plus up to three partial refills and I usually end up spilling more than I like. I have no problem refilling the oil tank.QUOTE]

I know only too well what you mean by spilling. I figured you were probably already doing this but thought I would throw it out there.

The elligant solution would be to cnc mill a tank extansion ring and then spilt the tank and bolt it on. a more likely solution would be to weld up a box out of aluminium and then cut out the side of the tank and weld the box onto the tank. I know VW engine blocks are also mag aluminiu and they can be welded. and the handle on one of my saws was repaired with a weld so I know the stihl stuf can also be welded. while a box on the side might be a bit ugly it would work and let you use the stock cap with its vent.

The quick and dirty way would be to add a "y" in the gas line between the tank and the carb and route that to an auxilary tank mounted on the mill.

Aux. Tank

Sounds like a good idea. I didn't even think of that. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Bob,

Could you find a badly damaged tank (with cap from any make of saw), cut around the filler tube and weld (or epoxy / glue / seal) it over a newly cut hole in the side of your existing tank? If you decide that two filler holes are better than one, this may be an easy solution. It would allow filling from either orientation. If you don't use this saw for bucking too much, the extra filler hole may not provide any problems by getting in the way. Other thoughts are to do something similar with hardware store parts (pipe nipples, couplings, caps etc).

I know it is a crude hack, not in line with the quality of your work... but maybe it will lead to a thought and solution for you.

TTFN

BlueRider, you probably have a fuel tank from one of the cutoff saw models. I believe they're bigger but will still fit the chainsaw models.

What kind of fuel caps are on the 076 etc. saws? Are they the old-school bakelite-type that are on other older models my 041 and 090? If so, perhaps one could drill out the center and cut the finger tab off of a spare fuel tank cap, epoxy or JB Weld a 45° or 90° elbow into that, and then use a standard pipe cap or plug as a fuel cap on the elbow. I think I'd try a 45° first because you still might be able to fill in either position that way. I'm not really familiar with 076 design though. Of course, if one wanted it to be permanent one could just force a standard pipe thread into the softer magnesium of the tank and then JB the whole mess together to seal it. I've done this on less important things but don't think I'd want to do it to a saw!

I also like Glenn's idea of adding a second filler hole altogether, though I don't think I'd trust epoxy or JB alone to hold it together. If there were nice, flat mating surfaces on both the tank and around the new filler hole, I would try to rivet or bolt the two together with a bead of RTV gasket maker in between to seal it really well, and then epoxy or JB over the whole works to smooth it out & then paint so it doesn't look TOO out of place.

Last edited:
Yep - I've thought about these ideas - rolled these over and over in my head and walked the aisles of many hardware and plumbing stores looking at fittings.

The idea I currently favor is a one does not use any glue, just drilling a hole in the flat side of the tank and fitting a narrower threaded spigot so that a nut can fit through the existing filler opening and be screwed onto the internal part of the spigot.
attachment.php

That way I can use something like O-rings and provide a good seal that can be retightened as needed. My tank on my current saw is pretty beat up so I would do it to that one if I could get a replacement, just in case something goes pearshaped during the mod - I don't want to be left without a tank.

Back