Chainsaw Injury to Leg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats like 2 we had in the last week of so in the same spot.

:censored:

chaps FTW!

Once you have the notion that you may need some chaps, buy them and use them. That is called learning the easy way. It's good stuff.

I really need to get a pair myself. Everytime I think about it and start looking for some, that old YMCA tune starts playing in head. :monkey: :greenchainsaw:

Thanks ents

I appreciate your finding that link. As I said before that video got me moving, and I have not cut wood since. I sent ya some rep for your effort.
Thanks again. JR

Yup that pic brought back bad memorys oww! Sorry to hear someone got hurt it happens so dang fast there is nothing you can do but prevent it next time.

My accident was a couple inchs lower across my left knee cap same angle exactly. It took me a few years after that to finally get chaps but I wear them always out cutting now, fact they are behind the seat in my truck so I dont forget them. :)

Spent a lot of time behind a saw sarted when I was about 10 never worn any protection but I can say that video made me want to buy a set of chaps before I run my saw again.

Glad your friend is ok but I am reminded of the words of Keanu Reeves:

"Chicks dig scars" :cheers:

I did something similar about 5 years ago. Was using a friends saw that was set at too high of an idle and the chain never stopped turning. I tripped while limbing a tree and the saw hit my leg above my left knee. All it did fortunatly was break the skin, but they stitched it up anyways... 13 total. While the stitches were in it looked nice and clean like yours friends does. However and getting the stitches out and bending my knee again the skar got pretty wide. Oh well, live and learn I guess!!

I cut my self in the same spot just a little lower bled pretty good realy didn't hurt at all.

Been There

A bit of personal testimony on this, to help anyone who reads this and thinks they don't need protective equipment. I got lucky in 1996 clearing fallen trees outside Wilmington after Fran tore up things. I was in the woods with my dad's 056, goosed the throttle after cutting a limb and stepped at the same time. My knee hit the chain as it was coasting down, cut me enough to bleed but scared the mess out of me. However, I didn't buy any chainsaw pants until last month.

Been lucky so far but, in another non-chainsaw accident, I mashed the end of my left middle finger off using my Miter saw on much too small of a block of wood.

Coincidentally, I just had bought a new 361 to use. I found this site and watched the Labonville video right after coming home from the ER having my finger sewed on. Bought me some Swedepro pants immediately.

The kicker is that I'm an engineer who works in industry, construction, etc. and have sat through hundreds of hours of safety training. It took getting hurt to mean something.

Thanks to you professionals here who preach PPE, you are 100% correct. To those who are too Manly to wear muffs, hats, pants, wait until your child is bawling while your wife takes you to the ER and see how manly that feels. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN.

Yeah, I regularly fly small planes [including at night and in weather], teach others to fly, ride a motorcycle, run a tractor, etc. Whenever someone asks me about how I deal with [their perception of] the danger there, I always say something like, "Well, I also have been using a chainsaw for 30 yr. and it's a heck of a lot more dangerous if I'm not really aware of what I'm doing."

They always give me a "Yeah, riggggght" look.

A bit of personal testimony on this, to help anyone who reads this and thinks they don't need protective equipment. I got lucky in 1996 clearing fallen trees outside Wilmington after Fran tore up things. I was in the woods with my dad's 056, goosed the throttle after cutting a limb and stepped at the same time. My knee hit the chain as it was coasting down, cut me enough to bleed but scared the mess out of me. However, I didn't buy any chainsaw pants until last month.

That's the EXACT same way my dad cut his leg that caused me to get my first pair of chaps, funny thing is up until then neither of us knew they even made such a thing. That's why I like to see these post's, nobody who's been here for very long can say they don't know about PPE. :clap:

Thanks to you professionals here who preach PPE, you are 100% correct. To those who are too Manly to wear muffs, hats, pants, wait until your child is bawling while your wife takes you to the ER and see how manly that feels. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN.

:clap: I 100% agree :clap:

It's kinda like riding a motorcycle..... It's not a matter of if you'll go down, it's a matter of when and how bad.

Glad your friend is ok but I am reminded of the words of Keanu Reeves:

"Chicks dig scars" :cheers:

Yeah, but they don't seem to care much for amputees.

A friend of mine came to see me today and said don't you wear chaps when you cut? I said yes and I also wear a helmet with face shield. He rolled up his britches leg showing me a nice row of staples and said: Where can I buy some of those chaps? I laughed and said "Labonville.com
"
After looking at his leg we both agreed he was lucky.
He told me he was limbing and a limb pushed the saw into his leg. he said it was "over in the blink of an eye" and he thought he cut his leg off at first.

For anybody reading this that doesn't have chaps, please think about getting some.
Be careful out there,
Longwood

Longwood, thanks for sharing. :clap: I have been accused in the past of being the PPE police when I made a similar post a while back, but as you will see there are quite a few people who will now be wearing the PPE thanks to you....... GOOD JOB. :clap: I can't tell you how many people told me in PM's and Rep that they would be getting PPE because of that post, I don't know how many actually did but at least they know about it now. If your post causes one person to get some chaps then it's 100% worth it. :clap:

Rep! is on the way.

I never use chaps - but I use protective trousers all the time - more convenient, at least in the woods - doesn't snag in the same way.

The best ones (made by Pro-tech for Stihl, Husky and Jonsered) doesn't weight much more than a pair of jeans.

Last edited:
You mean those summer weight chaps? They must have less protection than the regular ones.

Ian

I use the summer weight pants from SwedPro, same protection level just different (more breathable) material on the back.

Back