Chainsaw mill plans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the CS mill I bought for $1400. It came with a little used 088. I am not to happy with the track setup but for the milling I do at my property it works out ok. This purchase gave me a 088 that I can use with my Alaskan type mill and also allows me to mill my trees at my place with out having to use a guide board and all the set up. Some day I would like to make up a better track but I will live with this for now.

I have looked at the pro cut and thought it looks like a good CS mill although I would make it wider so you could slab up larger logs.

attachment.php

I built a procut mill, but honestly never bought their plans, just used their pictures for ideas and made a few changes for myself, like making it able to handle 50 something inch logs. I have been (have been as in sold the business to prevent getting sucked down the black economic hole) a professional metal fabricator, so the building of it was a walk in the park. If you are new at the game, the procut plans would probably be well worth the money.

In my opinion, one of these mills is an excellent mid point between a bandmill and an alaskan style mill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSAgnygjdyY

well , your going to need a welder or know someone who has one you can use,then learn the basics of welding ,reading about how to weld will get you only so far, hands on either with a stick welder or a wire feed welder is must. If you have a choice of one to use I think a wire feed is easier to use. I have a stick welder ,abit harder to get used to . It can be learned but will take practice.
learning set up is another story, especially with this project but you can be talked through it ...............

Thanks, actually those pictures are the same mill just different carriages. I did build a shorter more portable version similar to a procut but haven't any pictures of it and its covered in snow. The original carriage mounted the saw bolting onto the bar the modified one mounts to the power head. This setup allows for a shorter bar, easier mounting and easier adjustments using shims.
Jon
attachment.php

attachment.php

You bet, it works well with bars up to 20"(as long as I have used without the tip supported). With the power head mounted close to the log you can use almost the whole bar. Up here usually the largest spruce average under 18" so a 20" is plenty, I see on the logosol mills they use 24 and longer unsupported. Once I have dialed in, it saws lumber as accurate as I want.
Jon

Keep us posted on your progress on it. I keep thinking about doing the same thing, so I'm going to wait on you now and watch with great interest.:hmm3grin2orange:

Scott

Back