chainsaw milling on the Oregon coast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job Smithie. What is that board in the first pic looks like it's already has a finish on it? How do you get that cant so square? I use the mini mill and don't always get such a square cant.

Thanks ADRPK,
That first board is douglas fir, some times when it has been setting out in the weathered for awhile it can tend to gloss-up and darken a little so it looks like it has a finish on it.
I Try to be extremely picky about getting setup as straight as possible and not push the saw to fast, the down side is that I don't get as many boards per sawing session.
I hope to get the process refined so that I can produce more footage.
Happy Milling

Have you looked at the granberg mini mill. It is a great time and back saver. There're only like $80 if I'm not mistaken. It cuts straight without setting up too much, once you get your first swipe at the top of the log with the Alaskian.

Ya the mini-mill is what I'm using.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Works great. I have a 28" bar and I think that is the max length as the tip will start moving around on ya.
I have noticed that if I get in a hurry the cut won't be square.

nice milling Smithie, so have you figured out how to get those big boards down the hill? Looks like in that first pic you simply tie and rope and drag them down? Those are some pretty large stickers you got there in that drying pic... if I used stickers that thick I'd need way more space to dry my wood. Using 1 x 3/4 inch, I get about 400 ft per 5-6 ft high stack if I mill them 12-14 inches wide. From the looks of your operation there though, I guess space is one thing you have plenty of.

Back