Chainsaw Mothballing for Dummies?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I generally like to run my saws at least once a month or so, but it looks like I'm gonna need to put one or two of them away for a few months, and I'm curious what y'all recommend for long-term storage.

I know you want to get all the fuel mix out of the tank/bowl, but I've also heard it ain't too cool to run a chainsaw out of gas (for lubrication issues?) ... so what's the "proper" procedure?

Run it out of gas while spraying outboard engine fogger (oil) into the intake?

Anything else I should do?

I really like my MS361 screamer and don't want to ever get into fuel issues with it.

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

Stihl MS361
Dolmar PS3410
Craftsman 16"

i have read on here that if you dump or use most fuel in the tank then let the saw IDLE until it runs out it wont hurt anything. Then fill the bar oil tank full, clean the saw up and put her away. Thats also the way I do it if Im not gonna use it for a while.

i have read on here that if you dump or use most fuel in the tank then let the saw IDLE until it runs out it wont hurt anything. Then fill the bar oil tank full, clean the saw up and put her away. Thats also the way I do it if Im not gonna use it for a while.

+1 on that method - its been working for me.

I run my engines(idle) till their warm, then dump out any remaining gas/mix and remove the air filter. Then I restart them and let them idle. Just as they start to sputter i give them a shot of engine fogger down the throat of the carb. Usually pull the spark plug and give it a shot, pull it over and shoot it again. replace the plug give it an all round polish and put it away.
Now I may be doing this wrong but it has always worked for me. My equipment is stored in an unheated shed an it can get .....:censored: cold up here then warm up with a chinook wind then cold again. I worry that with the temp changes I will get condensation. Maybe I'm over compensating, but like I said, I've had no problems.
If it's just a month or so(with a saw between projects) I do the above, but without spraying the p/c.

Usually a marine item

Try a local Marina.Just like it sounds it fogs a coating of oil into the cylinders.

I put five 026's and two 021's away for about four years...

Dumped the gas, ran them til they stopped.
Emptied the oil
Left the chains slack and oily
Left the gas cap loose

They were stored in a container on a shelf, no ventilation, heat probably topped 100 or more over the summers, winter no lower than about 55.

Came back in four years, new gas, new oil, cranked them all up no problem, six or seven pulls full choke, than as per normal once they fired. All checked out ok!!!

Any bar oil left exposed had gone thick, the residue in the tanks was still runny but had gone dark.

Storing saws

This may be alittle extreme but i dump the fuel and drain the oil tank then start and let idle till runs out, pull plug spray with oil in cylinder pull'er over acouple of times (EASY AND SLOW ) wipe exterior and put a light coating of lithium grease on the bar and dawgs as well as on the screw heads that are exposed i also leave slack in the chain. No problems yet.

Latest posts

Back