chainsaw on a stick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
Reaction score
Echo PPT-260. I can get it to run with the choke on but as soon as I take it off or try to rev it up the thing dies out. There are no high/low adjustments on the carb. Its an all or nothing POS. Any suggestions as to carbs I can replace it with to remedy the situation. Has about 130lbs of compression and the plastic mounting base looked like it was in good shape.

Echo PPT-260. I can get it to run with the choke on but as soon as I take it off or try to rev it up the thing dies out. There are no high/low adjustments on the carb. Its an all or nothing POS. Any suggestions as to carbs I can replace it with to remedy the situation. Has about 130lbs of compression and the plastic mounting base looked like it was in good shape.

I can't help you, but I would try to find out what brand and model
the carb is and post it here. I think it would give the guys something
to go off of, for a replacment carb.

It seems you have a air leak or crap in the carb.

TT

Echo stuff is pretty good, the fact it runs with the choke on and dies with it off sounds like you have some form of blockage in the carb.

My usual trick is to take the top and bottom off the carb and give it a blast of carb cleaner and then reassemble. Hopefully this will get it going, it is worth also checking the impulse line to make sure it is providing the correct push pull to the carb to pump fuel.

Oh - also check the fuel filter and fuel pipe, seen petrol degrade pipes before, it gives a foul cellulose smell in the fuel tank!

Spud

ppt260

i have a ppt 261, its the calif. version of your saw. it sounds like you have a fuel starvation problem, so when you get to the point that you pull the carb,(should be a barrel carb) if you look real close on the side there is a small hole that has a little white plastic plug in it, pull it out,i used a dental tool, thats your low speed adj. that little screw made a monster improvement in my saw. high speed is tougher to get to.look'n stright down at the top of the carb,rite in the center is a adjustable jet screw but you have to dismantel top of carb,you will see it. i think the epa try's to hide these adjusters from us? i just say NO to the epa :chainsawguy:

First, check the screen on the muffler where the exhaust exits. If that screen carbons over, the symptoms will mimmick what your mentioning.

Here is a link to the Walbro WYK-186 schematic;
http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/WYKseries.pdf

Notice item #13 on page one of the schematic.

The carb has adjustments just like any other, theyre just in different places. Most of the time the only place that needs attention is the main needle under the plug which is #13. The fuel adjustment needle travels down thru the barrel (page one, item 10). Look at the walbro drawing on the next page down and notice the needle (#2, page two) running down through the barrel.

The plug covers the needle, remove it with a drywall screw or pry it out. You will need a tiny flat blade screw driver to adjust the needle. Counterclock wise adds fuel. Some of these carbs also have a small lock ring on top to prevent the needle from turning from vibration.

If you have ever adjusted a lawnboy altitude adjustment needle valve carb you will understand immediately.

Replace the fuel filter, fuel lines and carb diaphragms while you have it apart so you wont have to monkey with it again in 6 months..

finally able to get back to this thread after the disastrous forum changes. Thanks to everyone that posted. B/C of your advice the saw now runs like a top. Its unfortunate that it took almost a week to find the treasure of information in posts older than 12/30/2010

It's been awhile since I stopped by here.

Long story short, I have an Echo PAS-260 pole saw here with a carb problem, I rebuilt it set the metering lever height and no change :mad:

Looked around here and lo and behold there are adjustment screws which I never knew existed.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting that info:rock:

Back