Chainsaw photography

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you!! Shots were made using a Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D

thanks, scored a Micro Nikkor 55m 2.8 a few months back for my Nikon D2H.
had wanted a Micro Nikkor lens for quite sometime. have not used it much as I thought.

some folks recommend the 105mm micro nikkor lens instead. but when you factor the increase in focal length caused by reduced size sensor. that takes up 55mm to about 80mm effective length.

don't think I'll be getting a dedicated micro flash system any time soon. unless a deal falls on me of course.

105mm_lens.jpg

Last edited:
The main reason the 105 gets recommended is working distance. Either so you don't scare critters or so you can light the subject. That 55 is a great lens.

super sharp macro

If you'd like some super sharp macro get a 24mm f2.8 lens and a Nikon reversing ring. The ring allows you to put the lens on in reverse which turns it into a super macro. For some reason, that I don't remember, reversing a lens' optics results in a sharper image and turns it into a macro lens. The reversing ring will work with any lens that uses a 52mm filter. Try it you'll like it.

thanks, scored a Micro Nikkor 55m 2.8 a few months back for my Nikon D2H.
had wanted a Micro Nikkor lens for quite sometime. have not used it much as I thought.

some folks recommend the 105mm micro nikkor lens instead. but when you factor the increase in focal length caused by reduced size sensor. that takes up 55mm to about 80mm effective length.

don't think I'll be getting a dedicated micro flash system any time soon. unless a deal falls on me of course.

105mm_lens.jpg

If you'd like some super sharp macro get a 24mm f2.8 lens and a Nikon reversing ring. The ring allows you to put the lens on in reverse which turns it into a super macro. For some reason, that I don't remember, reversing a lens' optics results in a sharper image and turns it into a macro lens. The reversing ring will work with any lens that uses a 52mm filter. Try it you'll like it.

One caveat about using the BR-2a reversing ring is that focusing must be accomplished by moving the camera. For many subjects this is fine, but for anything that moves it can become a PITA.

Back