chainsaw pros can you tell me model of this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saw idenitification what partner is it?

it does have square plate over oil pump,but the corners are rounded,not sharp.this saw came with 28"bar not a 20"it handles it very easy,the r18 info i read said that r18 had 13 to 15 inch bar,sounds like it has to much power to be r18.what years was the p70 made?was there any r-number saw 70+cc's?thanks :dizzy:

I have an S65 and love it. I use it almost daily. One thing I can not stand and do not understand is why the gas/oil is on the opposite side as the handle. You have to do the 3 hand fandango to balance it and fill er up.

I am neither a pro, nor an exspert, but I have picked up some more or less good info here and there.

First of all, it is not a P70, unless the top cover has been changed. The P70 came in march 1977, and your saw is older.
It also is not a R-series 85 or 100cc saw, as they would have weighted more than 19 lbs (like 21-22 lbs or so) with bar and chain.
I also think that all R-series 85 and 100 cc saws had air intakes in the top cover, like this R40T, and your saw dont.

That leaves us with the 65 cc saws, even though the weight should have been more like 17 lbs with bar and chain, provided it has empty tanks and is clean. Maybe you weighted it on your fishing scale?:laugh: :laugh:
The 55 cc ones would have had less power than you state that it has.

As it is all yellow, it is not one of the semi-pro versions.
That leaves us with the R420, R420T (with Thyristor electronic ignition) or R421T (with exhaust heated handles and Thyristor). The pictures of the 420 and 420T at CSCC is not correct, they show a later semi-pro saw.
It ads up that it has a bit (but not much) more power than the S-65, like about 4 hp at 8000 rpm.
Accurate info on the power of old Partners is difficult to find though.:bang:

I suggest that you weight the saw again, preferably without bar and chain, and with empty tanks - as I am a bit confused by the weight you stated.....

There is at least one more rather remote possibility in addition to those discussed above, but I will hold that back until the weight of the saw is confirmed. This post is long enough as kit is.

Last edited:
It's an R-17 or an R-19 but it comes down to what type of ignition the saw has. Electronic ign = R19, Points = R17. I have no doubt about it. It is definitely an older R series saw. The larger 65cc, (R20 and up) had black and yellow. The 55cc R15-19 were all yellow.

I'd bet lunch that its an R17.

There's lots of reasons why this saw could feel more powerfull than your S65.

retoocs555 said:
The larger 65cc, (R20 and up) had black and yellow. ....
That is definately not the whole truth...

The semi-pro versions of both the 55 and 65 cc saws are black and yellow, while the others are all yellow. Some of the Partner pictures on CSCC is misleading (misplaced), as I said in my post above.

...but I forgot about the 65cc R20 and R21, the saw in question could be one of those, too.

SawTroll said:
That is definately not the whole truth...

The semi-pro versions of both the 55 and 65 cc saws are black and yellow, while the others are all yellow. Some of the Partner pictures on CSCC is misleading (misplaced), as I said in my post above.

...but I forgot about the 65cc R20 and R21, the saw in question could be one of those, too.

Didn't the semi-pro versions come out a little later than the original R series?

I've never actually come across a larger cc 65+ that was all yellow.

Where dose the P 85 fit into the series? I have one and it is a powerhouse. Lots of fun to cut with.

partner un-identified saw

ok guys thanks for the good info,i will re-weight and get back to you.now it does have electronic ignition.and i can almost guarantee it is not 55 cc's because it runs right with my husky 371xp with 24 inch bar.on the case there is part of a number still left on saw,it looks like bottom of a zero that slants to the right.it does not have heated handle,so i'm thinking maybe its the r420t.:) or maybe r20 also

ratman36 said:
ok guys thanks for the good info,i will re-weight and get back to you.now it does have electronic ignition.and i can almost guarantee it is not 55 cc's because it runs right with my husky 371xp with 24 inch bar.on the case there is part of a number still left on saw,it looks like bottom of a zero that slants to the right.it does not have heated handle,so i'm thinking maybe its the r420t.:) or maybe r20 also
IF YOU CANT DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLANCE,THEN BAFFLE THEM WITH BULL ----

MOE said:
Where dose the P 85 fit into the series? I have one and it is a powerhouse. Lots of fun to cut with.
The R and P series 85 and 100 cc saws were on a bigger "frame" than the 55, 65 and 70 cc ones, and weighted roughly 4 1/2 lbs more.

The P 85 was an evolution of the R30/R35/R435-series, that were all 85 cc.

ratman36 said:
....so i'm thinking maybe its the r420t.:) or maybe r20 also
Probably R20T or R420T, but I will wait for you to weight it accurately to be sure it is not an 85 cc saw.
What puzzles me is that you say it cuts right with your 371xp, which indicates it could be an 85 cc version, but the looks of it does not fit any single 85 cc version known to me, and the weight stated so far does not fit in.

:jawdrop: Sorry, but 16.5lbs empty, without bar and chain, still leaves me in the open - it does not fit the available specs of any Partner saw that I know of.

:jawdrop: Sorry, but 16.5lbs empty, without bar and chain, still leaves me in the open - it does not fit the available specs of any Partner saw that I know of.

However, my only reference to the weight of the 85 cc Partners (18.1lbs empty, without bar and chain) is CSCC, and there are some misprints and mistakes there.....

If it is an 85 cc saw, it has to be one of the R-series ones, with the top cover from a P85.

partner saw?

thanks saw troll for your help,your the man!! i checked weight again on another scale and three times i got 16.5 lbs.from what i feel from running this saw it acts like a good running 70 c.c's,it might just be 65.cc .i can almost guarantee its not 55.cc,if it is,then it's the best running saw ever made,that size.did partner make a 70cc saw that looks like this one?or did they all look like s65?like 700,7000 plus.the cylinder casting number is 340834 not 40834.:greenchainsaw:

partner r420

i found some pictures of r421 partner and looks just like my saw,except it had heated handle.but it has two thin slots in cover on top right side under handle that i have not seen on any other partner saw,i have them also.and the word partner is casted into the cover that holds bar instead of a sticker,also like mine.so i have to say it is a r420 partner 65cc and around 4hp.:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back