chainsaw rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my opinion is a small echo is fast running saw good for pruning or little jobs but their bigger saw the cs400 is weak and choked down , homelites are pieces of scrap unless you have an old xl and even then they are heavy loud and high rpms arent there ,seems the new huskys are so choked down for the epa and osha restrictions and unless you get the pro models are basicly poulons with orange jackets on them ,dolmars are good but pricey and lack features and lack dealers /parts atleast in my area .the stihls are alittle more pricey than some but for the average guy who cuts 4-8 cords of firewood at 375$ 290Stihl farmboss with a 18'bar and an agressive chain and muffler mod will kick ass and take names ,mine sprays a chip roost 15 feet off the tree limb and will blow my dads husky rancher out of water .dollar for dollar stihl are the best in my opinion ,basicly if you can buy your saw at homedepot or tractor supply its probably a commercialized peice of dog feces

Last edited:
MAC.gif

Once you run one of those AOD, you and me both know we'll never go back to Junkmar, Stihlnotrunning, or Junkvarna.

The best saw for any job will have lots of options. Basically if you are having a problem on a specific job it will be because you have the wrong tool (saw). I still like my cs440 echo. The problems I have had with it are my own fault. Of course it's not the saw for larger trees so I got a 441 for that. I'm sure I will run into situations with other needs, hence CAD. But folks need to appreciate what they have reallisticaly, for the jobs for which they were intended.......Lanny:deadhorse:

Easier said than done, none of these new saws pull over easy when its cold. Your looking at 6-7 pulls at least.

My Echo CS-520 always starts on the 2nd pull. As far as whats the best saw, I have my opinions on that topic, but Im not gonna poke a stick into that hornet's nest.

MAC.gif

Once you run one of those AOD, you and me both know we'll never go back to Junkmar, Stihlnotrunning, or Junkvarna.

I actually want one of those just so I can see how much it can take before it dies, but I don't want to buy one new.

I think they quit making them, Menards used to carry them but I haven't seen them there in awhile.

my opinion is a small echo is fast running saw good for pruning or little jobs but their bigger saw the cs400 is weak and choked down , homelites are pieces of scrap unless you have an old xl and even then they are heavy loud and high rpms arent there ,seems the new huskys are so choked down for the epa and osha restrictions and unless you get the pro models are basicly poulons with orange jackets on them ,dolmars are good but pricey and lack features and lack dealers /parts atleast in my area .the stihls are alittle more pricey than some but for the average guy who cuts 4-8 cords of firewood at 375$ 290Stihl farmboss with a 18'bar and an agressive chain and muffler mod will kick ass and take names ,mine sprays a chip roost 15 feet off the tree limb and will blow my dads husky rancher out of water .dollar for dollar stihl are the best in my opinion ,basicly if you can buy your saw at homedepot or tractor supply its probably a commercialized peice of dog feces

Allrighty then..............:popcorn:

My thinking is that there is no "best" saw, but there are better saws for a particular job. For saws with similar power or torque, I'll take the one with more comfort (lighter weight, less vibration, comfortable handles, etc.).

:agree2: Right saw for the right job. I wish I had the right saw for all the jobs

People ask why I have so many saws, and why one or two isn't enough, and I have to explain it's like a set of wrenches, the right size saw for the right size wood. Plus I have a few project saws and "fun" saws kicking around. It's not like they take up tons of space or I have to keep registration or insurance on them.

K im a newby

k I'm stuck in this great debate of what saw to buy I've got bout
$300 to spend yet I could never own a micro machine I'm power hungry my dad let me have his 024av for the season love it Ive put a new bar on it and a skip full chisel, I'd like to hear more about tanaka,Dolmar,Solo, huskey
I come from a ford family if youknow what I mean.

thanx for the grea input I've got my eye on a ms290 20"bar

ok since i dont own a good chainsaw yet what saw am i missing. i like all my chainsaws whether they want to work or not.

even an undersized quality saw will work excellent for most applications (just wil ltake a little longer)if you have a race/aggresive * sharp* chain and it is getting lubricated good ..all it takes is one minor time hitting a rock or the dirt and its in trouble and needs sharpened or replaced :greenchainsaw:

ok since i dont own a good chainsaw yet what saw am i missing. i like all my chainsaws whether they want to work or not.
Your sig show's allot of nice saw's! So your just looking for a new saw eh? I will suggest a Jred 910 or 801 or 2094 but you might have trouble finding a nice one they are oldy's but goody's basing this on the size of the rounds you had posted in a earlier thread.
You will never find the perfect saw just some you like more than others.
CAD works in mysterious way's.

Your sig show's allot of nice saw's! So your just looking for a new saw eh? I will suggest a Jred 910 or 801 or 2094 but you might have trouble finding a nice one they are oldy's but goody's basing this on the size of the rounds you had posted in a earlier thread.
You will never find the perfect saw just some you like more than others.
CAD works in mysterious way's.

yeah been looking for a jred for a while now just so i have one. well i have the BIG saw covered (90) but i would just like a new saw period. only problem is tha i have never seen a jred out here in the desert there are no dealers near by either.

Well I'm not in absolute complete agreement with the OP's post...but I would still vote yes on that over all statement. Cause I also golf ...and I know it's not the stick so much as it's the swinger.

I had the "perfect chainsaw" experience this weekend. I got a call from a golf course I have been working on for the past two years to allow me to cut downed trees. Owner called, he said he had a nice sugar maple down for me. I get there, cut for 1/2 the day, saw runs great, with no thrown chains, minor breakdowns, no hitting rocks, fence etc. It operated like we always want them to but doesn't always happen.
For me, having a good tree to cut down, a nice SHARP chain to cut with, and great weather is all I need to be happy. I got two big loads of the tree plus I am sure he will call me again to remove downed trees knowing that I am serious about doing the work.

im not brand loyal on saws. basicly i form my opinions as to whats i consider to be the best when a machine has years of bullet proof reliability. if i had to pick one id say im partial to husqvarna atm simply because i havent logged any significant time on the stihl as of yet.

id say the only brand i definatly favor over any other at this point in my life is my dodges. theyve never given me trouble and ive owned a dodge since i was 19. chevys and fords well other than my old camaro i dont wanna talk about it.

Latest posts

Back