Chainsaw restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sence i have retired i have taken up a new hobby of restoring vintage chainsaws. What is some of the best ways to get the black looking tar out of the gas and oil tanks , i am new to this site and any help would be greatly appreciated .

If its like boogers
Bake it out dry it out then blast the crud away if tank is metal or cast heat tank for long time in oven
We used powder coat oven for 5 hours
Thinners and such wouldnt touch it
It was a poulan 44 sand cast saw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still doing pedal cars, like the one Charlie had. ( future king of England) that is him in the photo obove the peddler,
Garry

I have had success on some with Purple Power and a scrub brush.

DSCN4574.jpg

DSCN4575.jpg

DSCN4576.jpg

DSCN4577.jpg

Others succumbed to carburetor cleaner. For sealed tanks that you can't get in and scrub the bake & shake techniques may be your only hope. I made a face plate fixture so I could slowly spin a tank in my lathe while 1/2 filled with BB's. That will certainly take care of any oxidation or dried out residue.

20180224_160435.jpg

Mark

MEK methl ethel keytone use good common sense and be very careful while using it.
Has been known to cause cancer of the testicles in blind rats in California.
This stuff is the best I have cleaned lots of plastic snow mobile tanks lawn tractor and chain saw tanks.
Pour it in shake it empty through a filter save it for another job.One shot 10 minutes done.
Kash

For areas that you can see easily, try spray on kitchen oven cleaner and let soak for 20 or 30 minutes and
recoat as needed before brushing with toothbrush.

MEK methl ethel keytone use good common sense and be very careful while using it.
Has been known to cause cancer of the testicles in blind rats in California.
This stuff is the best I have cleaned lots of plastic snow mobile tanks lawn tractor and chain saw tanks.
Pour it in shake it empty through a filter save it for another job.One shot 10 minutes done.
Kash
Same as, Kleen Flo, best stuff I ever used. It will remove even melted down rubber line stuck to the tank ,varnish and all other crap stuck to the old mag tank saws of which I have many. No stirring, shaking or agitation needed. One of the old RA`s I inhereted had 6 fuel lines complete with what once were fuel filters welded to the mag tank , the Kleen Flo left the tank walls shiny, no scraping at all.

On cast tanks, Mineral spirts and BB’s. Let sit, shake, shake, shake. Let sit longer, then repeat over and over until all clean.

Oxalic acid mixed with water will remove rust. You can buy bags of it online. Lots of restoration tricks on vintage motorcycle and bicycle forums. Only thing Ive used drain cleaner (lye) on was to remove anodizing from aluminum.

Back