Chainsaw safety gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casual cutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How many of you honestly wear what should be worn when you're cutting privately in your back yard, and not "on the clock?"

I wear my street clothes when I'm cutting, and no chaps, hardhats, eye protection, hardhat, gloves, boots, etc... Why? I know what will happen if I open that sucker up and ram the bar tip into the side of some timber.

Common sense dictates to me what is safe and what is not. A helmet will not protect me from stupidity, although it may help?

I kid you not... It is more important to wear eye protection operating an electric line trimmer than it is when operating saw. This is from personal experience...

I'm even extra hardcore... I'll even start my saw without the chainbrake engaged!

I have never started a saw with the brake on.......

I will atleast have my hard hat with face shield and ear muffs...only cause they are all one piece

And usually a pair of leather gloves

Chaps if I am doing more than a limb or 2 or doing something stupid on a ladder or one handed off the roof or railing of the deck :D

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

That's the beauty of the lighter rear handle saws... They can be operated one handed. I do it all the time! Even up the ladder!

XMD, you sound like a good guy! I've gotta go now. I am prepared for the attack of the safety boys on this thread when I check back in...

If i am cutting for more then 10 min and need more then a 50cc the.chaps are going on.
If im doing a paid job its the complete orange suit.

I always wear ear protection, and I think I'd wear chaps if I had them. Though for now I follow grandpa's advice: don't be stupid. I don't think you could hold dad down long enough to get chaps on him

Meh....

I usually cut while wearing flip flops and a speedo, especially in winter. I hate working up a sweat and then having it freeze to the shirt...next time ya move the back hair rips out.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

yes I have the scars that should have taught me better

near misses and minor injuries tell me I should use ppe because I'm a lazy bustard and I will take short cuts, get hot and bothered, not pay attention.

and all will be fine until the wife comes home and the children are under foot and I'm busy telling my five year old daughter to stay away because it is hot, sharp, poisonous, exposed electricity, chemical fumes or what ever. the next thing you will know I have stopped paying attention and I have rune the electric plane over my left thumb and I'm bleeding like a stuck pig and yelling at SWMBO the get the kids away from me, While I wrap seventeen turns of electrical tape around the thumb to stop the bleeding and make it go numb.

Then I will bump that thumb for the next two three weeks and it will hurt likes SOB each time.

I wear sunglasses almost all the time 'cause one time I didn't. Trip to the E.R.$2000.
Ear muffs to save what I have left, and steel toed boots 'cause that's all I ever wear.
Leather gloves.

Chaps most of the time, muffs and eye pro always. I'll use the combo helmet when dropping bigger dead trees. I had a branch fall on me pretty hard while wearing it that probably would have ruined my day otherwise. I agree with using your brain first but nothing wrong with some insurance/safety net.
After 3 tours as an infantryman I have seen lives and eyesight saved by simple ppe. Sure, its uncomfotable sometimes but I like my eyes and legs. I also cut alone and often while the wife is at work. Its kinda remote here and help would take a long time. I just work slow and methodical.

I always wear helmet and shield when limbing

One.time i had the.face shield flipped up and a limb stuck in my nostril

Bled everywhere

Eye and hearing protection 99% of the time. Chaps 90% of the time. Hard hat about 5% when I am dropping dead stuff. About 70% of cutting I do alone so PPE is a must in my book. CJ

Speedo and flip-flops in winter is go-to Downeast. Yesirree. :cry:

Have and have had all the 'danger', close calls, body blows, and risk for this life. And, I'm "..coming down for breakfast.." today.

Full PPE always, in yard, small 009 climbing or limbs, big harvests. Takes only a few minutes to protect my privates ( no more procreation, butt recreation ), the head, the femoral arteries, the so valued hands with the magic of chemistry Kevlar gloves included. Hey, why not ? You want 'danger' or adrenalin, train to be Ranger, Seal, or Sniper; maybe do some rocks or ice. I don need the 'danger' with a tool.

Why not use protection ? Don't want the "encumbrance" ? Please sign on the dotted line that you will refuse any emergency care paid for by the taxpayers of your region. "I want to bleed out.":potstir:

This old hardheaded grandpa started using PPE since January. Earplugs, cause I can't take the noise anymore. Chaps, after a few pairs of my britches got eaten by my saw. Leather gloves cause I bleed so easily taking blood thinner Meds. Gotta have eye protection too.:hmm3grin2orange:

Gloves, glasses, and boots for me. If I remember earplugs I wear them, but I always seem to forget to grab them. I tend to be over cautious while doing most things, and cutting is one of them. I rarely drop trees however, and if one is in a bad situation I normlly just leave it there. If I can't hook a chain to it and pull it to where I think I can safely cut it, it sits there and rots. There's more trees around, just have to go get them.

For me, safety glasses ALWAYS (that's another story in itself)!! WorkTunes muffs the majority of the time and sometimes gloves. I have worn chaps a few times but that was only after I cut myself. I just can't stand chaps, hotter than a front row seat in hell! I didn't cut myself too bad but definitely bad enough to make me a lot more careful.

Latest posts

Back