chainsaw tachometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been a couple of threads on the photo tachs. If you try hard enough, you can make it work. However, I recommend an inductive tach that reads off the spark plug wire signal, rather than a photo tach.

The budget ENM tachs are fine for permanent mounting on a milling saw, but way too slow for easy tuning. It can be done, but it's nerve racking.

What is so difficult, if i may ask?

What is so difficult, if i may ask?

It takes 5 seconds for the display to agree with what the saw is actually doing. ENM advertises a 1 second refresh rate, but that is misleading. The display does change every 1 second, but it still takes 5 seconds for the display to catch up with the saw.

Also, it requires a wire around the spark plug lead, easier said than done on some saws like Efcos. The better inductive tachs don't require a wire.

The Trail Tech is a new one to me, if someone wants to give us a detailed review, feel free. Real-life refresh rate ? Is a wire required ?

It takes 5 seconds for the display to agree with what the saw is actually doing. ENM advertises a 1 second refresh rate, but that is misleading. The display does change every 1 second, but it still takes 5 seconds for the display to catch up with the saw.

Also, it requires a wire around the spark plug lead, easier said than done on some saws like Efcos. The better inductive tachs don't require a wire.

The Trail Tech is a new one to me, if someone wants to give us a detailed review, feel free. Real-life refresh rate ? Is a wire required ?

check these items out

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/cheap-small-engine-aftermarket-parts/shop-supplies/shop-tools.html

reason it says cheap on the url is cause Discount prices those digital ones can read wrong i still like old school better

Last edited:

I tend to agree. I suppose it depends on the budget though. The OP sounds like he wants to stay at or around $30. You aint getting much better than the PT15 Tachometer for that price. The auto ones, like you mentioned are super finicky (and for that reason, possibly inaccurate). The biggest 2 drawbacks of the ENM tachs are refresh rate (the PT15 doesnt take 5secs imho, but definitely isnt as fast as advertised either) and the fact you have to manually wind it.

That said, for me, its probably all the tach I ever really needed (although I have others). I do tune my saws 99% of the time by ear but I like to check them against a tach now and again and I also like to use it for a fresh start (ie carb rebuild) to get everything really specific to spec & then fine tune by ear.

You aint getting much better than the PT15 Tachometer for that price. The biggest 2 drawbacks of the ENM tachs are refresh rate (the PT15 doesnt take 5secs imho, but definitely isnt as fast as advertised either) and the fact you have to manually wind it.

That said, for me, its probably all the tach I ever really needed (although I have others).

:agree2:

It sure beats the reflective tape jobbers!

Latest posts

Back