Chainsaws in the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We lost our farm house to fire when I was young, it happens. Could have been a lot of things but like has been mentioned, heating causes a lot o fires. I don't trust the fireplace insert where I live now so I don't use the fireplace.

My two saws sit in my deepfreeze room, a semi detached room off of the house. Normally there is a nice breeze through there and two windows opened about six inches each on opposite walls of that small room. I don't store any gas in there in cans but I have never noticed any smell. I don't empty my saws I usually run once or twice a week.

A blessed piece of rusty wire in some brown vines was impossible to see with brown safety glasses on a week or so ago and I wired a full comp chisel chain. It was colder than the devil last week but I was bored stiff and decided to go file on the chain a couple laps, learning how to use the Granberg anyway. I closed one window to kill the draft. Left that window closed when I finished.

Stepped in the room the next day to a strong smell of gas! Not good, both of my saws are stored medium high and the relays that start the deep freeze are several feet lower than the saws are. Opened the window and fixed the problem short term but I have to make some changes, either the saws move or they have to be emptied and a blower ran in that little room 24/7.

Might get away with that tiny spark from the contacts on the freezer a hundred times or more, the one time I didn't would be far too high a price to pay though! That is the thing about bending common sense safety practices. We can get away with it for a very long time, or things can go south the next time we do it. We are just rolling the dice.

I'm not against having saws in the house, they just have to be housebroken! My V-8 race engine that cost about the same thing as a midrange car sat in my bedroom for a couple years, just the short block and heads. The only place I had to put it with the weather protection and security I wanted.

Hu

Latest posts

Back