Chainsaws on youtube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been watching chainsaw videos on youtube. Quite a few on the 346xp and the MS361. I see what you mean about the Stihl MS361 being a real hoss of a saw. The clips were impressive. While I'm still pretty sure I'm going to get the 346XP I do want to pick up the Stihl and see how it feels.

What does it mean when a saw is ported?

Clay

If you buy a husky 346xp you will always wonder what it would be like to own a stihl ms361. Go for the gold!!!:greenchainsaw:

What does it mean when a saw is ported?

Clay

It means they have modified the air flow of the saw, opened it up a bit so the exhaust flows a little more freely and removes some of the back pressure. There probably is more to it than that, but that's at least part of it. There are some folks on here who are very skilled at doing it.

The 346 and the 361 are in two different classes. They both are supposed to be the class of the class. You might want to consider what your use for a saw will be and pick the one that is best suited for the job.

The 346 and the 361 are in two different classes. They both are supposed to be the class of the class. You might want to consider what your use for a saw will be and pick the one that is best suited for the job.

That's what I'm trying to do. Mostly I do it for firewood, but even then I doubt I will cut 4 cords at the most for burning. Actually, if I am truthful, the hard part for me is in the hauling and the splitting. Felling a tree isn't that hard, and limbing and blocking, even a fairly large oak, doesn't really take all that long, even with my little Poulan. But hauling it to the house and splitting it up by hand, that's another story.

So I know from experience the size saw I need and I know it doesn't have to be all that big. But I want it to be a good saw; a saw that's made well and one that doesn't give me trouble. If I have to get one a little bigger than I need to get that I would; I just hope I don't have too.

That's what I'm trying to do. Mostly I do it for firewood, but even then I doubt I will cut 4 cords at the most for burning. Actually, if I am truthful, the hard part for me is in the hauling and the splitting. Felling a tree isn't that hard, and limbing and blocking, even a fairly large oak, doesn't really take all that long, even with my little Poulan. But hauling it to the house and splitting it up by hand, that's another story.

If something is too hard chances are somebody made a powertool for it. Use the right tool for the right job and get a log splitter.

If something is too hard chances are somebody made a powertool for it. Use the right tool for the right job and get a log splitter.

This is kind of funny that I got this reply today. This morning at church I was talking to a guy about a dead beech I had cut down and remarked to him how hard it was to split. He said, " Get a log splitter". I replied, " I thought about it but a good one is so expensive", to which he replied, "That's beside the point." :buttkick:

I'm thinking maybe it is. Might make cutting wood a lot easier and much more enjoyable.

The right tool makes life a lot better for everybody!

I am no fan of the 346, been there, modded it, modded it some more, then sold it!
I would think the Dolmar 5100 (if you have a dealer) would be a beter choice for a single saw. The 361 would be MUCH better IMO.

Lots of things can be modded on a saw. It might just be opening up the muffler and adjusting the carb. It mightbe going in and opening up the intake and exauhst ports for better flow. It might be doing all of these and changig the port timing of the saw by raising and lowering theports of the saw. Same effect as a set of headers, a big camshaft and a new carb and intake manifold on you're car.
There are "woods ported", "work ported" and "race ported". The first two are much the same. The last one is only good for a few minuets at a time.
Then you get into custome machined cylinders or heads and on and on.

there's only so far one can go within the limits of a 2-stroke engine. i was thinking about this, there's no oil jets on the underside of the piston, no water jacket around the cylinder, far less metallic mass and no oil pressure feed. Tough life being a small engine ;) that said, some folks will manage enormous increases in power from some careful porting work.

few minuets at a time

If a race saw can cut a few min at a time, then it's going tpo be a slow one. I would not want to subject a race saw to more than a few seconds at a time.

Back