chance to get a cheap older saw whats you opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have to bend over with a 24" bar :msp_sneaky:

Got some more info on the saws today but wont be able to go check them out till tomorrow.

The 288 is ooolllddd (early 90's) and has been rebuilt several times 4 or 5 i guess and it sounds like he might want 150. Still think the 288 would be worth pickin up if its been worked on that much?

Pretty sure Im getting the 046 just dont know about the 288 with it being rebuilt so many times.

Depends how its been rebuilt ;) If done properly, then i wouldnt worry. I have saws older than that running strong in my toolshed.

I still think the idea of both & runnings them both to see which you like, then selling the other is the way to go. Put it this way: if you buy the 288 for $150 and it runs well - even if its a bit beat up looking - my guess is you will be able to get at minimum $250 for it on ebay - so, where's the risk?

I would agree with the majority. Get both 4-5 time's for a 288 rebuild seem's odd though. Afterall one of the all time best, and very rugged. I mean a rebuild or two would not seem strange, but I know guy's who have never had to rebuild em. Just wondering if a communication error somewhere. Just seem's like a high number. But I would still get both.

Well I went out and looked last night at the saws. Hes got a bunch but really only selling a 181/281 frankenstien saw and a 046. As far as he knows the 046 has never been rebuilt and it still has misc stickers on it doesnt look like it got used too much. The 181/281 was peiced together from a couple different saws and had no bar on it so I couldnt try it in any wood. He wants 225 for the 046 and 175 for the 181/281 saw. Think I'm going to go back today and pick up the 046. The 281 sounded good but I just dont like the idea of a peiced together saw.

I did get one. Supposed to be an 046 tho I have to admit Im not sure. I have no reason not to belive him lol. No badges on it and to tell you the truth I dont know where a serial number is on a stihl. Has a 30" bar and needs a new chain. Seems to run good and starts up easy. And for 200 bucks I cant complain. I'll post a pic or two in a few. Anyone wanna tell me where I can find the serial number so I can figure out just exactly what I got and when it was made.?

Yeah get us some pic's we can helpp on the identity. I thnk I mighta passed on the Franken saw too. Wise my friend. You could use that hundred plus buck's, toward your'e new purchase, like you mentione'd new chain.

Latest posts

Back