Changing an 028 to electronic ignition from pts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A friend has an 028 with points he tried to change over to electronic ignition but the saw now has a "skip" when running i am thinking he needs a non points flywheel as well. What say the experts??

A friend has an 028 with points he tried to change over to electronic ignition but the saw now has a "skip" when running i am thinking he needs a non points flywheel as well. What say the experts??

I use those Modules , I call them computer chips, with my McCullochs all the time. Did he ground the thing properly, and did he soldier the end that connects to magneto. The gap between the flywheel magnets, should be 0.008" to 0.012". Check to make sure.
I always solder my connections, and never had this problem. I installed one in a Homelite once, and had that problem too. I soldered the connections, and that eliminated it.

I use those Modules , I call them computer chips, with my McCullochs all the time. Did he ground the thing properly, and did he soldier the end that connects to magneto. The gap between the flywheel magnets, should be 0.008" to 0.012". Check to make sure.
I always solder my connections, and never had this problem. I installed one in a Homelite once, and had that problem too. I soldered the connections, and that eliminated it.

Yea i kinda thought it should work with the regular flywheel, he did cut the wires and just left them there as he said he could not get the flywheel off so the points are still operation as is the condenser. It may just be that the saw needs a new spark plug.

Yea i kinda thought it should work with the regular flywheel, he did cut the wires and just left them there as he said he could not get the flywheel off so the points are still operation as is the condenser. It may just be that the saw needs a new spark plug.
Check to make sure that the computer chip is grounded properly. A loose ground will cause it to skip as well. I always attach the module, and ground wire together with one bolt. (bolt through eye of ground wire, than through the mounting hole of the module) Never had a problem doing it this way. It would be better behind the fly wheel though. Loosen the flywheel nut. Turn it to it's almost off. Place a pry bar behind flywheel, and pry a little. Take hammer and tap the flywheel nut at the same time as prying. Flywheel will pop right off. Finnish removing the nut, and the flywheel.
Bruce.

Thanks Bruce. Its not my saw or the flywheel would be off and it would be running strong by now. The guy that owns it doesn't know anything about small engines i think so this could be awhile. Hes a good guy but lives too far away to pick the saw up and help him out which i would love to do.

Thanks Bruce. Its not my saw or the flywheel would be off and it would be running strong by now. The guy that owns it doesn't know anything about small engines i think so this could be awhile. Hes a good guy but lives too far away to pick the saw up and help him out which i would love to do.

Hey. Look at it this way. Get him to pick up a case of beer or too. Tell him to come over for the weekend, fix the saw, and drink beer., or drink beer, then fix the saw. After all, it's the weekend. Going to rain any way. Might just as well drink Beer.:givebeer: :cheers: :givebeer: :cheers:

module on a 28wb

I just finished this same thing. Came out working great. Easy way to mount the module on a 028wb is to make a tab of metal to screw under a coil mounting screw. Then you can screw the module to that with the ground wire under the screw for the coil. There isn't any room under the flywheel to mount it.

I just finished this same thing. Came out working great. Easy way to mount the module on a 028wb is to make a tab of metal to screw under a coil mounting screw. Then you can screw the module to that with the ground wire under the screw for the coil. There isn't any room under the flywheel to mount it.
I have never preformed this on a Stihl before. I have done this procedure with a Homelite XL76, and a few of my MucCullochs. Under the flywheel of the McCullochs, there is enough room to park a semi in. Lots of room.
Bruce.:greenchainsaw:

Back