Changing from d176 to d009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen factory saws with 8mm to 9mm spacers and I have also seen those thin spacers smashed and busted up from normal use. Partner P100's for one used them.

If this is for your Poulan, I would suggest your spacers be for 5/16 to 3/8 and then file the bar slot out to fit. Something no one else mentions is that by putting a D009 bar on your Poulan you more then likely will end up with a odd drive link chain as the D009 bars seem to like 1 less drive link when put on other saws like a Poulan.

If you use steel 3/8 fuel line it will absolutely work but it has to be 3/8 o.d. not i.d.

So I tried tubing... no luck, tried windshield wiper strips... couldn't get to bend, I don't know HTF you guys did it. So I tried springs out of harbour freight spring kit. A certain size spring fits tight on the studs, and is a perfect fit. Barely any movement but still slides good. I just need a chain now, think 68dl is on 18in GB bar? 66dl is OEM on the Poulan 3700 18in. Gb bar is half in longer...
48d910b019a5224d457cfb790ae0514b.jpg

Bottom right corner... they work perfect
1a6351ec97c962b96191ac697609d746.jpg

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

So I tried tubing... no luck, tried windshield wiper strips... couldn't get to bend, I don't know HTF you guys did it. So I tried springs out of harbour freight spring kit. A certain size spring fits tight on the studs, and is a perfect fit. Barely any movement but still slides good. I just need a chain now, think 68dl is on 18in GB bar? 66dl is OEM on the Poulan 3700 18in. Gb bar is half in longer...

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36
Springs are a good idea too. I bent those strips by heating them with a torch before bending them around the bolt - sorry, I should have mentioned that before.

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36
68 DL should be right

Springs are a good idea too. I bent those strips by heating them with a torch before bending them around the bolt - sorry, I should have mentioned that before.

Well ****, I fought that strip with every pair of pliers I had. Thats a lot btw. Oh well, I think these springs will be good.

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

If this is for your Poulan, I would suggest your spacers be for 5/16 to 3/8 and then file the bar slot out to fit. Something no one else mentions is that by putting a D009 bar on your Poulan you more then likely will end up with a odd drive link chain as the D009 bars seem to like 1 less drive link when put on other saws like a Poulan.
It is fairly common that adapting a bar to fit on another mount than it is made for will play games with the dl counts.
The culprit often (always?) is the exact placement and shape of the chain adjusters, in relation to the adjuster holes. Some times it can be "corrected" quite easily, some times not.

It is fairly common that adapting a bar to fit on another mount than it is made for will play games with the dl counts.
The culprit often (always?) is the exact placement and shape of the chain adjusters, in relation to the adjuster holes. Some times it can be "corrected" quite easily, some times not.

In the case of putting the European bar mount on the older American Homelite, McCullough, Poulan and the Japanese Echos, you will find the distance between the crankshaft centerline and bar pad different which plays into the drive link counts.

Yes - and some "ring adaptors" that can be bought looks like they are made that way. The challenge with is to find the right spring.

I have found the 5/16" ID by 3/8" OD extension springs very easy to find around here. They are quite inexpensive also.

Besides being stronger, that is one of the reasons I suggested filing the 9mm slot out the very small amount needed to fit the 3/8 spacer.

Depending on the bar it can vary how much needs removed

Truthfully, I find it not worth the trouble swapping a D009 bar onto these saws I mentioned and messing around with odd sized spacers and maybe odd DL chains, at least up to 20-24" bars as its too easy to find the proper mount and DL bars.

Where I do find it worthwhile is in the longer bars. 28" and longer bars in D176/D196 mounts are not as easy to find and are not cheap when you do which then makes it more worth the trouble.

The Husky 93 drive link D009 bars work pretty well as they end up liking a 92 DL chain just like the original D176 bars do.

When i do the swapping its usually trying to use a homelite bar on my poulans so the drive link count usually stays the same 24"and down

Truthfully, I find it not worth the trouble swapping a D009 bar onto these saws I mentioned and messing around with odd sized spacers and maybe odd DL chains, at least up to 20-24" bars as its too easy to find the proper mount and DL bars.

Where I do find it worthwhile is in the longer bars. 28" and longer bars in D176/D196 mounts are not as easy to find and are not cheap when you do which then makes it more worth the trouble.

The Husky 93 drive link D009 bars work pretty well as they end up liking a 92 DL chain just like the original D176 bars do.
I agree. I've found some real nice 20" D176 bars at rummage sales and you can get shorter Oregon ones from fleet supply stores with chain for under 30 bucks.

I only did it for the orange bar... some may find it pointless, but I like being different... and it was $11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I would not have bothered if I didn't have the bar - my cheap clone came with a D009 (ish) bar when it should have had a D176, and the fit was too sloppy.

That's my assessment too. I got a good deal on the d009 32", and finding anything over 24" in d176 is pretty hit and miss. I haven't seen any d176 for sale longer than 36" anywhere I've looked. Does anyone even make any?

Latest posts

Back