Changing from d176 to d009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's my assessment too. I got a good deal on the d009 32", and finding anything over 24" in d176 is pretty hit and miss. I haven't seen any d176 for sale longer than 36" anywhere I've looked. Does anyone even make any?

What saw are you putting it on?

I find on a Poulan 5200 the 105 dl chain when new will fit but leave very little adjustment left. A 104 is what is really needed

As to new 36" new D176 bars, yes they are still made, mostly for Echo and there biggest saw which to me is to big for it anyway.

Nobody I ever seen stock one except a echo dealer and that was at a price beyond stupid compared for what you can order the same bar from Oregon

The Husky 93 drive link D009 bars work pretty well as they end up liking a 92 DL chain just like the original D176 bars do.

Husky doesn't seem to agree even with themselves regarding the dl count of those bars - the specs vary between 92 and 93 both from Husky and other bar brands. :D

What saw are you putting it on?

I find on a Poulan 5200 the 105 dl chain when new will fit but leave very little adjustment left. A 104 is what is really needed
CS-8000. I can't remember exactly where the adjuster is, I'll have to check. I think it had a good amount of adjustment left.

True that. I wasn't happy at the time to find my new Dolmar 7900 used 92 also for no good reason other then most people having to go back to the dealer for the correct chain.

92 is of course preferable, as that number is dividable by four - but it isn't a biggie, the chain loop just looks more "tidy".

CS-8000. I can't remember exactly where the adjuster is, I'll have to check. I think it had a good amount of adjustment left.

No offense, but I have run that same saw with a 36 and you will probably be happy with the 32.

I don't know about the saw you have, but on the older Echo's like the 750 I found those to be identical in crank to bar pad spacing to the Poulan and Homelite.

No offense, but I have run that same saw with a 36 and you will probably be happy with the 32.

Probably true, which is another reason to buy long bars in a mount that will fit the larger husky saws if/when I decide to get a larger saw.

Hey guys,

If converting a Mac 10 series to D009 can you get away with the 72 DL chain or do you need to drop a link or two?

Reason I'm asking is because I have a plethora of 72DL chains and don't have any 70 DL chains currently. If I can run the 72's it makes this a no brainer. Otherwise I'll just pick up a couple 70 link chains when I find a sale.

Hey guys,

If converting a Mac 10 series to D009 can you get away with the 72 DL chain or do you need to drop a link or two?

Reason I'm asking is because I have a plethora of 72DL chains and don't have any 70 DL chains currently. If I can run the 72's it makes this a no brainer. Otherwise I'll just pick up a couple 70 link chains when I find a sale.

You probably don't want to do that. The D009 oiler hole will not work on the Mac. You would have to do alot of grinding to the adjuster holes to convert them to oil through the adjuster holes. That is how the D176 bars are able to work on the Mac's

You would probably be better off starting with the small mount K095 mount bars and modify the adjuster holes on those and they have the correct bar slot as well.

You probably don't want to do that. The D009 oiler hole will not work on the Mac. You would have to do alot of grinding to the adjuster holes to convert them to oil through the adjuster holes. That is how the D176 bars are able to work on the Mac's

You would probably be better off starting with the small mount K095 mount bars and modify the adjuster holes on those and they have the correct bar slot as well.
Appreciate the advice Mark! If grinding is involved I'll just order a couple loops of chain instead.

Back