Changing raker angle file position

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had someone who does not know how to sharpen chains have a go at one of my 1/2 used milling chains. Instead of sharpening the tooth they used the file on the raker which has given me the idea that it may be possible to file the raker on the gullet side to change the raker angle instead of a flat file on top of the raker, which may be easier or more convenient.

Am a little concerned that the distance marked in red will have a negative effect (dont have a macro so this is not the chain referred to)

Any one tried this? or have comments

Chainsaw-tooth.jpg

The distance marked in red will not matter noticeably. This is proven by personal experience using chains where the tooth is filed to the point of being almost gone and still getting performance like a new chain.

Now, the method of lowering raker height you are suggesting seems to have no advantages (best case scenario you lower the raker height by the desired amount)...but you can just use a flat file like a normal person and get that result as well. :)

What matters is the distance "x" in relation to the distance "y" in this picture.
This is what I call the raker angle
Chainsaw-tooth_boon.jpg
One thing that will make a small difference is if the raker gets too pointy it will dig into the wood and create more friction.
It will also give an effectively greater raker angle but at the expense of power loss due to the friction in the previous sentence.

If anything increasing "x" will lower the raker angle and lead to poorer cutting performance

understood

thanks all obviously no shortcuts for rakers

back to the drawing board

Back