Changing the splitter engine to synthetic made the difference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, some weeks back the splitter received an oil change then the temperatures dropped and it was really stiff to pull over unless a heater was on it for 20 minutes. While at the store getting some knick knacks and one aisle over from the paddywacks a quart of synthetic oil found its way into the cart. The last time the splitter was used it stayed out over night and the next day it was with trepidation that the handle was pulled and it spun fairly easily, enough so that on the third pull it popped and four had it running without the need for a heater.
The synthetic will save on kerosene so a good investment all around.

Now for the riding mower and tractor.

Well, some weeks back the splitter received an oil change then the temperatures dropped and it was really stiff to pull over unless a heater was on it for 20 minutes. While at the store getting some knick knacks and one aisle over from the paddywacks a quart of synthetic oil found its way into the cart. The last time the splitter was used it stayed out over night and the next day it was with trepidation that the handle was pulled and it spun fairly easily, enough so that on the third pull it popped and four had it running without the need for a heater.
The synthetic will save on kerosene so a good investment all around.

Now for the riding mower and tractor.

I will be changing over my splitter in the spring. We had something like -10 below yesterday and the wheeler turned over like it was summer. Must be a good reason why they use synthetic oil in them. I still like to pre-heat the Hyd Oil in the splitter when it's cold out.

My car calls for synthetic oil and I changed my tractor over as well. Makes a heck of a difference when starting in cold weather. Before I bought the car I thought it would be too expensive, but at 10,000 mile oil changes it's cheaper than what my Dad is spending to change dino oil in his Suburban.

I'm a believer! They make an 0-30 for cold weather.

The splitter is next on the synthetic list.

That is why I like Dextron III in my splitter, my skidsteer uses it also. No real need to warm up the fluid at very cold temps.

just put 5w30 synthetic in the snow thrower today and wow what a difference! broke the pull rope trying to start it yesterday with dino 10w30 rotella at that which is a little thicker:chainsawguy:

Haven't changed to synthetic oil yet but considering it for wood splitter, and generator. I have heard once you change to synthetic you should never change back to regular oil. Don't know if that is true. Next time I change fluid in wood splitter will use Dextron III.

I have heard once you change to synthetic you should never change back to regular oil. Don't know if that is true. Next time I change fluid in wood splitter will use Dextron III.

There is nothing wrong with switching between dino oil and synthetic.

Back