Chaps Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarti

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I only cut for farm clean-up and 6 cords a year for the woodburner. Getting cautious in my old age and am going to buy some protective wear other than boots, gloves and eye protection. Actually, a friend of mine lost his brother to a chainsaw accident, and it has me thinking. Is there anything to know, or just get a pair of chaps at a good price?

Thanks

Even the cheapest pair of chaps you can find are better than a pair of blue jeans.

You don't need to spend a couple hundred bucks for something you don't use that often. I know both stihl and Husqvarna have some homeowner type chaps for around 60 - 70 dollars. Very cheap compared to an emergency room visit...

Good luck, Hope this helps and stay safe............

Cutting up poles in a pile is more dangerous than any other cutting in my opinion. :computer:

I know both stihl and Husqvarna have some homeowner type chaps for around 60 - 70 dollars.

And for the exact same $60-70 for the cheap Husqvarna or Stihl import craps/chaps you can have the very best pro quality hand made in the good 'ole US of A by Labonville shipped to your door. I should also mention that they have a 10% off sale going on right now that should take care of shipping.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=89793

Scott

Last edited:
The answer to all chaps questions is Labonville. There are none greater, but there are many more expensive and of lesser quality. I just got a pair of full-wraps from them and they are the best quality of any I have tried.

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=14

Scott

And for the exact same $60-70 for the cheap Husqvarna or Stihl import craps/chaps you can have the very best hand pro quality made in the good 'ole US of A by Labonville shipped to your door. I should also mention that they have a 10% off sale going on right now that should take care of shipping.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=89793

Scott

Listen this advice. It is good. I have never heard a bad thing about Labonville, and have had nothing but good experience with everything I buy from them. Their chaps are THE BEST.

Don't Ban Me............

I have to admit, I keep forgwtting about the sponsors here.
I have two great saw shops close to me and it is a habbit to just run to them when I need something. I have a Stihl and a Husqvarna shop close, and both of them treat me like I'm their only customer.........
Just spoiled I guess, but now that I have found this site, I may have to change my thinking a little........

My biggest point on the chaps is, ANY chaps are better than none,, doesn't matter on brand.Buy what you can get the best deal for the best quality.
:cheers:

Labonville full-wrap chaps are great value. Chaps are also easy to remove when you are working in the summer eg moving the wood after cutting. But always put the chaps back on if that chainsaw will be running, even for a minute.

Remember that chap length is NOT inside leg - it is the distance from the top of your belt to the top of your foot eg I am 31" leg but wear 36" chaps (38" would have been perfect but they only make 36" and 40").

I only cut for farm clean-up and 6 cords a year for the woodburner. Getting cautious in my old age and am going to buy some protective wear other than boots, gloves and eye protection. Actually, a friend of mine lost his brother to a chainsaw accident, and it has me thinking. Is there anything to know, or just get a pair of chaps at a good price?

Thanks

i have a pair of stihl "wrap" chaps that i like. stihl chaps are good quality, they last a long time.

Even the cheapest pair of chaps you can find are better than a pair of blue jeans.

You don't need to spend a couple hundred bucks for something you don't use that often. I know both stihl and Husqvarna have some homeowner type chaps for around 60 - 70 dollars. Very cheap compared to an emergency room visit...

Good luck, Hope this helps and stay safe............
Heck, the Labonville 6 ply Kevlar chaps only cost that much, and protection don't get much better than that.

I watched the video on the Labonville site and it looked like the "other brand" chaps they compared against were Stihl and Husky - but not sure

Also, on YouTube, supposedly a Dept. of Labor safety video, used Labonville chaps in their test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilcLXpdJK0&feature=related

Both vids (along with all the posts on this site) convinced me to go Labonville

Labonville!!!

I spent the money and couldn't be happier!!!

Last edited:
The answer to all chaps questions is Labonville. There are none greater, but there are many more expensive and of lesser quality. I just got a pair of full-wraps from them and they are the best quality of any I have tried.

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=14

Scott

Any pair of chaps is better then no chaps, My cousin zapped his leg open to the tune of over a hundred stiches by not wearing chaps. With that out of the way, most chaps cost about the same 60-100 bucks, Look at the UL listing on the chaps and get a best you can afford. I just got a pair from labonville for my birthday, and they are very nice and I don't think my wife spent more then 70 bucks.

Latest posts

Back