Charity cutting for Interfaith Caregivers-- April 17 2010

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, gotta bail out on you.

Had a sudden issue with some super hot parts at work, material won't be in till tomorrow AM, and guess who gets the honor of waiting for it to show and throwing some parts together that have to be on an airplane for a trade show Sunday afternoon?

Yup, you guessed it, ME. Be not afraid, I'm being quite well compensated for them &*((ing up a good weekend. Left early today, paid day off in the future, and time and a half and mileage to and from work tomorrow! Did I drive a hard enough bargain?

Stihly, Beefie, and anyone else I haven't met from the GTGs, I apologize for not getting to meet you this weekend, but knowing Grandpatractor, Wetgunpowder, and Heavy Fuel's hospitality, I suspect you'll make a return visit one day.

Make sure to get a ton of pictures to remind me what I missed!

Sorry guys, gotta bail out on you.

Had a sudden issue with some super hot parts at work, material won't be in till tomorrow AM, and guess who gets the honor of waiting for it to show and throwing some parts together that have to be on an airplane for a trade show Sunday afternoon?

Yup, you guessed it, ME. Be not afraid, I'm being quite well compensated for them &*((ing up a good weekend. Left early today, paid day off in the future, and time and a half and mileage to and from work tomorrow! Did I drive a hard enough bargain?

Stihly, Beefie, and anyone else I haven't met from the GTGs, I apologize for not getting to meet you this weekend, but knowing Grandpatractor, Wetgunpowder, and Heavy Fuel's hospitality, I suspect you'll make a return visit one day.

Make sure to get a ton of pictures to remind me what I missed!

Too many Steves spoil the pot, anyway. Kidding! :D :D :D

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out logistics for camera/saws. Roughly how big an area are these downed oaks in, and how far off the road are they?

Looks like just over 200 miles from my place to the cutting site. Good thing a lot of it is faster highways. The Minnesota interstate route will be faster than cutting over into Cheeseland at Duluth/Superior and coming down WI Hwy. 35.

Last edited:
Too many Steves spoil the pot, anyway. Kidding! :D :D :D

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out logistics for camera/saws. Roughly how big an area are these downed oaks in, and how far off the road are they?

Looks like just over 200 miles from my place to the cutting site. Good thing a lot of it is faster highways. The Minnesota interstate route will be faster than cutting over into Cheeseland at Duluth/Superior and coming down WI Hwy. 35.

Yep! Come down I35 to Hwy 70 then east to Grantsburg. Trees are scattered thru-out the 80 acre property but the majority of them are in the SW corner of about 10 to 12 acres.

I can always run the skid steer, Did I ever mention I'm Blind in one eye and can't see much out of the other?
Like you ran it at the GTG a few weeks ago?Let me refresh your memory:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

I want to thank everyone that showed up today. We had a great time meeting everyone and we cut alot of wood.

Finally just got from the after cutting "safety review".
I told Beefie that he can't leave without running a dolmar.
So he is staying in the basement again tonight. He only has a 5 and 1/2 hour drive to get home. Hopefully some will post pics as I forgot my camera today.:cheers:

Thought I'd shout out a big thank you for all you fellas who organized this.

It was not only a blast to run the saws through some big oak, but it was for a good cause, too. Who says firewood only warms you twice, anyway?

Great to meet you all. Good eats, good company, good cause. I didn't even take the cameras out of the pickup. Got so busy cutting the day got away from me. But there were other folks with cameras, so no doubt you'll be seeing pics soon.

Coupla things:

It's good the ibuprofen are kicking in now. :dizzy:
I know why they call him Beefie. :D :D
Thor, sharpen your damn chain! :D :D
HeavyFuel, whenever you wanna sell that ported 066, CALL ME FIRST!
J.D., I am now coveting my neighbor's 7900. :)

Last edited:
Thought I'd shout out a big thank you for all you fellas who organized this.

It was not only a blast to run the saws through some big oak, but it was for a good cause, too. Who says firewood only warms you twice, anyway?

Great to meet you all. Good eats, good company, good cause. I didn't even take the cameras out of the pickup. Got so busy cutting the day got away from me. But there were other folks with cameras, so no doubt you'll be seeing pics soon.

Coupla things:

It's good the ibuprofen are kicking in now.
I know why they call him Beefie.
Thor, sharpen your damn chain!
HeavyFuel, whenever you wanna sell that ported 066, CALL ME FIRST!
J.D., I am now coveting my neighbor's 7900.

Which one there both fresh chains?

I live in N.E. don't think Ill be their I do allot of give away firewood I probably gave 3-4 cords this past winter all ax split myself its a good thing

It was a super fun time yesterday helping out Interfaith Caregivers.Met alot of great guys.I will be posting alot of pics and vids later.The wife wants me to go shopping with her down toward the cities now:cry:If someone posts a pic of a 346 that looks like mine hung up in a tree its not mine and I don't know how it got there:confused:

Last edited:
Many Thanks To All!

Thanks for all the good work and good fun provided by all. It was great to meet some new faces and reconnect with others. The travel expences some of you laid out to do this will not be forgotten either. Thanks to the Glover brothers also for the skiddy to use (Too bad it blew a hyd. hose)! It really hit me when Denny from INterfaith commented that we are his go-to guys for getting the wood cut he needs. I know I'll be ready whenever he needs help, hopefully everyone who helped yesterday and many others will to!

Some pics.

Well since it seems like only Woodyman and myself were taking pics, And the professional photographer was to busy burying his saws in the wood:hmm3grin2orange:Hi Sihlyinely.
Here are some pics, I would of had more but the batteries in the camera went south.
Well I meet Thorcw, Grapatractor, and Heavyfuel , Friday night at the safety meeting. The meeting must of been a success, We managed to stay up till midnight .

Here is the first pic , as I forgot to bring the camera out until 10:00 break. Here is are pro photoguy with his 038.
attachment.php

Here he is cutting wood .
attachment.php

Here is a pic of the guy's at 10 oclock break.
attachment.php

Another pic of the guys, different angle I think some of them look skinnyer from this side:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

Here is a pic of Woodyman & Sthilyinely working on bucking up the wood at the landing. I think Heavyfuel was driving the skiddy then, hard to tell if its him with out seeing if he's sleeping again, he likes to do that in the skiddy.
attachment.php

More pics coming

Beefie

More pics

The first two pics are the guys taking there noon lunch break, For some reason I thoght I took some pics in between 10oclock break and 12oclock lunch. The last Three pics are after lunch when Grandpatractor had the itch to cut some big wood. I think He just wanted to here the thud when it hit the ground:wave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Beefie

More pics

First pic Heavyfuel picking the butt log with the skiddy, that skiddy really helped out ,
attachment.php

Second pic Granpatractor showing us the proper way to thro a chain, Sthilyinely,Woodyman and Grizz were his students
attachment.php

WetGunPowder, MNRipper and Grizz helping limb the big oak.
attachment.php

Stihlyinely showing us how a 046 thro's chips and grizz limbing out the big oak
attachment.php

Grizz, Stihlyinely and Woodyman still limbing out the big oak.
attachment.php

More pics coming.

Beefie

How to hang a husky

The limbing master woodyman shows us how to hang a husky, Step one cut into pinched tree to relieve tension.
attachment.php

Step two realize the tree was under more tension than u thought and turn around and smile for the camera.
attachment.php

Step three, use a STIHL 260 to cut out husky 346xp, showing us once again why stihl's are better than husky's:deadhorse::hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

Many hands make lite work
attachment.php

Another big tree that even made Grandapatractor look small:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

Well that is all the pics that I have"camera batteries died" hopefully Woodyman gets some time to post the pics and vids that he took. All together it was a good day cutting, I think we had 16 guys cutting. I think there is 10-12 cords cut and at the landing and another 1-2 cord still out in the woods do to a hydraulic hose breaking on the skiddy.

Just wanted to thank Grandpatractor for letting me stay at his house over the weekend, you can't ask for better hosts.

Thanks Heavyfuel for letting me try out your modified 066. If you ever decide to sell it let me no. No Stihlyinely I saw it first.

Thanks Wetgunpowder for letting us cut on your family's land, and donating the wood.Thank you to Wetgunpwders wife for making that really good chilly.

Thank you interfaith caregivers for the cookies and drink.

It was nice to meet everybody and maybe we can do it again some time.

Beefie

Back