Chat over Beer w/ Loggers, Crescent City, CA - Amusing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
7677.jpeg

They're one of the basic logger food groups, along with caffeine and nicotine.

They're actually Donettes but with the usual Left Coast poetic license and free spirited pronunciation they're always referred to as Donettos.

They're made out of sugar and starch and pseudo chocolate and a whole list of chemical ingredients that I have trouble pronouncing. They have an active shelf life roughly the same as nuclear waste. Their nutritional value is about the same as cardboard but they're very filling. They're best when combined with 7-11 coffee, Baby Ruth candy bars, and any kind of beef jerky.
They're a very handy size for eating whole and washing down with a slurp of coffee. One Donetto, one slurp, drive the crummy one handed at high speed in the dark sliding sideways around the switchbacks and tune the radio with your elbow.
One of our crews showed up late one morning. Their excuse was that the usual 7-11 was out of Donettos and they had to run clear across town to stock up. We understood.

Well, I definitely ain't a logger, but the 2-3x packages of the white ones, some Copenhagen Long-Cut Straight and 2 thermoses of coffee will just about get me going for a morning of building barbed-wire fence and cutting trees on the ranch. That and Bacon...

M.R.

ArboristSite Operative
Yup... It had to be a Woman that coined this phrase, dating clear back to 'Hunters & Gathers' as no man can do everything right / to their Spec's.

madhatte

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
My S.W.A.G.:

Your predecessors probably dipped a brush (or little mop on a stick) into a can/pot of paint and then brushed paint on da tree. Those that were in a hurry (or bored) probably just 'slinged' some paint offa said brush/mop onto the tree and moved onto the next one. Slingin' paint.....

Or just, you know, spun around in a circle really fast hoping to land a perfect stripe everywhere all at once. That practice was halted when the district forester's truck was accidentally felled by an overzealous cutting crew.

Latest posts