Cheaper Super-Split like model?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejcate

Reaction score
I have been using a super-split for years.

I recently broke the rack gear arm on my Super-MINI-split.
I got it real cheap off craigslist.

I am loyal to the fly-wheel, gas design of the super-split... but unfortauntely I cannot afford a new one right now.

I am skeptical about other designs.

I am hoping that someone can convince me that an alternate design is just as powerful and cheaper to buy.

I only split about 4 or 5 cords a year- but i love the fast and powerful ability of the super-split.

please advise.
Thanks

You'll never find a hydraulic unit as fast, but as far as power goes, hydraulic will have more for sure. Alot of people get hung up with the cycle speed but honestly, I rarely use the whole cycle anyways. Usually it only takes a few inches and the round splits and I then retract back a few inches etc...There's always the exceptions but if you saw too size and avoid the crotches (or leave them for later) you can move along.

There are many 6 sec cycle time hydraulic splitters available and as was mentioned when you factor in the partial stroke that people do you are actually splitting just as fast. I am intrigued by the SS but wouldn't buy one until I could demo it on my own wood pile right next to my hydraulic model.

The build on that looks like crap. I think I could fab that up and I'm not a fabricator by any means. I would hate that table. On my super splitter the table in at the same level as the top of the beam. So you can just slide the piece back in front of the wedge. On that model you have to pick it up. That would really slow you down and add to fatigue.

You don't always have to complete a full stroke on the super splitter either. If you used one next to your hydraulic you would most likely put a for sale sign on that hydraulic.

Scott

On the movie that is the slowest splitter I have ever seen!!:monkey:

Ha,ha,ha, yep it sure is! Must be idling? On the other hand, I wouldn't mind checking out the knock-off SS. It's half the price of the original. Anyone seen one up close and personal?

Back