Cheapish grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foeke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I use my chain grinders quite often when I hit a grenade shell (the area I live in was bombed to bits at the end of WOII. No Old oak without a bit in it) or a rock.
But it annoys me that the disk only spins one direction, so one side is always sharper then the other (at least in theory).
I get the feeling the main brands (oregon/husqvarna etc) only use a swichable disk direction for the expensive ones. But did some affordable brand implement a direction switch? Since it is technically such a small effort.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

the grind direction only leaves a "burr" on the edge, and that burr does,nt last long imo.
a local grinder spins his motor backwards with a cordless drill, to kickstart the grinder into running in reverse

That's creative!
I was thinking about switching the polarity, but then thought about what the brushes would think about that.
You might be right in that that burr gives me the feeling the difference is greater than it in reality is.

My understanding is that the Oregon (tecomec is the same thing with a lower price tag) grinders can be spun backwards with a drill and then turned on and they'll continue running in reverse. Apparently this has no ill effects. Other than shooting grindings at the operator, that is.

My understanding is that the Oregon (tecomec is the same thing with a lower price tag) grinders can be spun backwards with a drill and then turned on and they'll continue running in reverse. Apparently this has no ill effects. Other than shooting grindings at the operator, that is.
I got that fact. But my train of thought was, Those grinders are not cheap at all. There should be a reverse on it from factory. And not spark in your face.

I got that fact. But my train of thought was, Those grinders are not cheap at all. There should be a reverse on it from factory. And not spark in your face.

Well, if it's going in reverse, isn't it gonna spark in your face no matter what? My understanding on the lack of reverse is that it's a safety feature, not anything to do with price point.

Just bought a dozen of those switches! Thanks for the drawing!
Still was hoping for some special brand that made an effort and designed a perfect grider on the cheap.
If you imagen how much more complicated other powertools are. And how much more powerfull.
It shouldn't be more than 100 till 150 bucks to have a nice semi pro grinder.
For that kind of money you can also get a decent
Mitre saw.

Just hope that the blade/stone doesn't explode in your face when useing it in reverse.
I would sure use a shatter proof face sheild and some thing like a hockey goalies throut protector.
shopping

I personally think the idea isn't to bright and the gain won't be worth the risk.

:D Al

I can almost stop the thing by pinching it with my fingers. But to be sure, I will keep my phone on "record".
When I die, at least make it a learning moment for others

...at least in theory...

You sure? When you sharpen a knife you sharpen against the edge... it makes the edge clean - and sharp, if you sharpen off the edge you get a slight shelf edge that will break off before you get the same clean edge.
The result when you stab that knife in the the chest of a turkey - is exactly the same.

Good point. I believe I saw a chain grinding robot that sharpend every "knife" outward.
I definitly sharpen manually outward.
Any chain grinding professional cares to join in?

Latest posts

Back