Chemical Sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Huckleberry is also called Serviceberry. It is closely related to the blueberries. Of course in Glens context he just means that he is a guy who is willing to play along.;)

Livin in LA

I appreciate the feedback tony marks.
Events in LA would cause the guys on this site to cry or fall over from laughing so much.

It you had a way of cycling a tooth in and out of a solution to sharpen it without you being there seems a much more efficient way of doing it than spending 5 minutes or 2 hours sharpening a loop.

What if you have to sharpen 20 loops a day? How about 50?

What if you could sharpen 20 chains at a time like cooking hotdogs on a rotisserie oven? Instead off bringing the tooth to heat (like the hotdog) you dip it into a solution.

To go further maybe you take some old bicycle gears and linkage to make this all happen. Put a timer on it like one for a sprinkler system. Dip a length of cutters into the solution for a specified time, rotate it, then dip it into water to stopped the reaction. All the while the cutters behind this set go through the same process.

etching too much off causes a chrome burr on the edge and is removed after a cut in the wood. Depending on the concentration it removes as little as .0005" an hour.

Depending on the solution it takes one to 8 hours of time to get it razor sharp. And it is all being accomplished while off doing something else.

Probably not a practical method for the occasional cutter but it might be for a professional.

I fail to see how chemical milling could be of any practical value in chain sharpening.

I'm surprised someone hasn't brought up EDM or LASER.

We might be able to make a chain sharpener cost a half million bucks.

Did someone say EDM....

Your right Tony. You'd have a boatload of cash wraped up in a fixture to hold a chain,or each individal cutter.(disasembly and reasembly) Not practical at all. That wouldnt even come close to qualifying as government work.....

Hey Don,

Since you are the chainsaw file king on ebay once the word gets out about the chemical sharpening your gonna loose a lot of sales. I'm buying cases of it right now...

Don
I see Jeff selling name brand products for the same or lower delivered price than you do on eBay. I`m curious about your "king of profits" remark? Is profit bad and somehow elusive to you? Didn`t Jeff hook you up with a few deals to get you started in your early days?

I`m not picking on you Don, but it sure sounds like you`re attacking Jeff to a small degree or did I misread you? If so I would like to apologize. Clear this up for me.

Russ

How could it possibly be an insult

Lets do the math and show examples.

Of the identical items Jeff and I sell are files on Ebay. We also sell things that are not the same brand.

Jeff also sells items starting at a dollar and typically end up with a nice profit. I start mine right at breakeven.

Specifically in the case identical brand of files. files 5/32, 3/16 and 7/32. 2nd Chice, Chrome Cut & Chrome Cut brands respectively.

OVERALL THE IDENTICAL BRAND OF FILES OF DON START AT LEAST A DOLLAR A DOZEN LESS THAN JEFF"S.

Hence his auctions typically end with more profit than mine. Therefore he makes more profit than I do so he is the king of profit.

So Jokers I am concerned about how and what you are saying?

It is okay for Jeff to call me the Chainsaw file king on ebay?

It is not okay for me to reciprocate and call him the King of Profit?

Jeff's shipping is initially $1.10 less . We ship 4 dozen or less for the same price. Taking this into account his auctions still generate more money ... hence more profit. I don't think comparing shipping is fair because of the unknown distance of each shippers to the respective seller.

Lets get the facts straight jokers.

Jeff never gave me any deals, never got me started, nor in any business. I have been selling on ebay under the recent name in 1998. I have had a business license since 1986. Ebay shows Jeff started in 2000 under the present name.

Jeff has me blocked from bidding on his auctions.

The comment he made yesterday on this board was the first contact since February. His comments in February were not pleasant.

I am suprised at you Russ.

Don
I didn`t mean to insult you but I`m sure it could be taken that way. Let`s take a look at your last post and discuss a few things.

Your statement that Jeff starts auctions at a dollar and usually ends up with a nice profit in comparison to the way that you start at the break even point suggests that you believe Jeff is buying his products for less than a dollar and selling in the same ballpark that you do. You can`t really believe that can you? What difference to the botom line does it make where the auction starts? It`s all about making your best deal with your suppliers and selling for what the market will bear. With the number of files that you move you must get some good pricing.

You and Jeff can call each other anything you want. I was merely commenting on what appeared to be an antagonistic tone to your post. I have no knowledge of you and Jeff exchanging barbs prior to this time.

If Jeff can get cheaper shipping, you should be able to as well. I can`t imagine any valid reason that you couldn`t.

Must be I`m mistaken about when you began eBaying chainsaw related stuff but I distinctly remember you buying a fairly large quantity of bars from Jeff dirt cheap for the purpose of resale. I also know that you inquired about buying other stuff from Jeff, and I found out through another friend in the industry that you were trying to back door him at GB. I understand that you were simply trying to get your best deal but it can leave a sour taste when the evidence surfaces.

In regard to your long tenure at eBay, it is implied by your statement that you have been in the chainsaw items trade since atleast 1998. I remember when you first started posting here, that you seemed to have many strong opinions but a limited amount of chainsaw knowledge or experience, or atleast it seemed that way to me. You have proven to be a quick study but it doesn`t appear that you have been selling saw stuff longer than Jeff. Correct me where I`m wrong.

I know that a seller can block certain bidders for legitimate reasons but I can`t say anything about why you may have been blocked. I simply don`t know. What I can say is that Jeff and I spend several hours a week on the phone and he is not talking about you. I was totally unaware of any acrimony that you may feel exists between Jeff and yourself.

So there Don, you now know my position and why I feel the way I do. There was no offense intended toward you and based upon my opinions you can probably see why I though that you were not justified in sniping at Jeff, if that`s what you were doing. It now appears irrefutable that you were sniping. You know me, I`ll verbally , or in writing in this case, say what`s on my mind, but I don`t expect any negative remark to go unchallenged.

Russ

What are you trying to accomplish Russ?

What are you trying to accomplish in a post started about Chemical Sharpening and ended up being something quite different?

Don, sorry if I derailed your thread, that was not my intent. I Think that you would understand from my PM to you that I found your idea interesting. I simply don`t understand your position regarding Jeff based on the "facts" as I believe that I know them. Maybe I`m wrong, so I tried, no matter how ineptly, to allow you to clarify a few points.

Russ

Thanks for the statement

Well it was on okay thread about chemical sharpening even with the sidetracks.

I know you don't have all the facts. I don't think you ever will have all the facts no matter who you talk to.

Since we sell the identical items I refered you to Jeff since the geographical difference causes shipping to be less.

I am glad you found a supplier who can service your needs.

These California fires are terrible and I don't think we will stop it unless there is allot of rain or when it runs out of fuel.

There is a process I've heard of called anodic deburring which is similar to electroplating. The way I understand it is the item to be deburred is placed into an electrolyte and a positive wire attached. A ground electrode in also placed in the solution and current applied. Since current flows from a higher voltage source to a lower voltage source electrons (from the metal) are discharged into the solution and flow to the cathode. In the process the burrs are dissolved resulting in smooth finish.

Although I haven't tried it I can see where acid would do something similar since it will react on small rough surfaces left by the file.

Mark

I have always found acid to clarify things nicely for at least 18
hours or so, then things start to get a little muddy.
But I digressssssssssssssssssssss......................................

as to profit,,,not u in particular,don, but generally selling something for the most u can get out of it,,seems to me to be the plan. i dont agree with criticism of
a fella,, making some money on a item..
ive seen some of that,,but a fellas got a rite to his own opinion .. now double talk and misrepresenting quality,, or condition,,i dont hold with.
but the market finds its own level .. its good if u can get better money,, than the next guy. its called salesmanship.jmo

Back