Cherry Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlar

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was contacted to remove some "firewood" and I just couldn't block this up.

I sectioned it into 2 - 8 foot pieces and 1 - 9 foot pieces.

The smallest is 11" diameter and the largest is 14" diameter. I'm in the process of designing a new kitchen and I thought this wood would look awesome.

My question is it worth it to have this milled? and what would milling this cost?

View attachment 291803

I would mill them in a heartbeat!!

My neighbor took these cherry out of a fence row and was going to burn them, it's unbelivable to me what some folks will burn!

standard.jpg

Anyway, they milled up very nice,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Makeing some VERY nice lumber,

standard.jpg

That's been stickered up for a while now, and is ready to move indoors,

standard.jpg

And after final drying, will make some GREAT cabinets and furniture!

SR

Nice. You're right about what some people burn for firewood. I've even traded split & seasoned oak for walnut logs that the owner was going to burn for firewood. It is a real shame that so much good wood goes up in smoke. Hope you get some good use out of that cherry.

I figured I should follow up on my milling experience... I did find a guy around my neck of the woods that was kind enough to slab up my cherry wood. I ended up getting around 20 -- 1" by 8" - 8-9 feet long boards out of the logs I took that day. Once dry I'll build my new kitchen :msp_smile:

While I was at it I brought along a decent sized Ash to get milled into 4" slabs live edge. Not sure what I'll be doing with those yet.

View attachment 293228View attachment 293229View attachment 293230View attachment 293231View attachment 293232

Thanks for the photos. Now comes the hard part... waiting a year for the lumber to dry. Stack should be out of the sun, and covered, with stickers between the layers for air circulation. Here is a rough sketch.

This gives the general idea.

I like Daves "stickered" picture, i'd just want the stack higher off the ground, as in a cement blocks on the ground and start the same stack Dave has, on top of them.

SR

Thanks for the photos. Now comes the hard part... waiting a year for the lumber to dry. Stack should be out of the sun, and covered, with stickers between the layers for air circulation. Here is a rough sketch.

This gives the general idea.

Waiting is always the hardest part. I have them stacked like your photo in my garage near a drafty door and have removed my attic hatch... should be some good cross breeze.

Cherry is a very sensitive wood, once dried it likes remaining at the same MC%. As you heat with wood (or just enjoy cutting firewood, like we all do!) something to be considered.

Cherry is a very sensitive wood, once dried it likes remaining at the same MC%. As you heat with wood (or just enjoy cutting firewood, like we all do!) something to be considered.

Good to know.. I will be using the solid cherry as the frames for the doors/boxes of the cabinets.. Cherry plywood would be used for everything else. I would hope that it would be stable enough to withstand the changes of the seasons.

Sealed on all 6 sides once properly dried should keep the MC% stable.

Good to know.. I will be using the solid cherry as the frames for the doors/boxes of the cabinets.. Cherry plywood would be used for everything else. I would hope that it would be stable enough to withstand the changes of the seasons.

Sealed on all 6 sides once properly dried should keep the MC% stable.

Using it in the kitchen ensure you use the range hood fan religiously and find a place for your electric kettle, don't ask me how I know.

You'll probably be ok, then. Wood shrinks about .01% lengthwise and 8% across its width & in thickness. From air dry to indoors (15% to 7% moisture content), it will still shrink between 1% and 2% in width & thickness, but almost 0 change in length. "Floating" panels in raised panel cabinets are designed to allow for this. I look forward to the pictures!

Cherry is my favorite wood to work with. I milled mine just like you are doing. It makes for some beautiful finished stuff.
Made my wife and daughters a jewelry chest with nothing but the cherry I milled....
From milled wood to finished product.

Cherry is my fav wood too! I've built a lot of different things out of cherry includeing this clock,

standard.jpg

I guess i could have cleaned it up a bit better for the pict! :msp_unsure:

SR

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back