Cherry red exhaust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordsoll

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was milling pine in darkish lighting and I noticed that the exhuast was a very faint red color. I am pretty sure that this muffler is aluminum or stainless steel I was wondering if this is normal for a chainsaw in the dark because on four strokes if the exhaust is glowing then it is running lean. the spark plug does look fine.

I was milling pine in darkish lighting and I noticed that the exhuast was a very faint red color. I am pretty sure that this muffler is aluminum or stainless steel I was wondering if this is normal for a chainsaw in the dark because on four strokes if the exhaust is glowing then it is running lean. the spark plug does look fine.
in dim lighting its fairly common, though it could also be a sign of running lean, pretty important to keep an eye on that sort of thing when milling with a saw.
good advice is to cut a little and let it idle for a few seconds, heat has a habbit of building up after awhile. the short stints of idling cool the saw off in a hurry though, and run yer saws a touch rich whenever milling.

Never seen that on any engine.
push any engine hard enough the exhaust will glow a little bit, though usually its cooled off by the time folks pop the hood and peak in.
engine exhaust temp gauges go up to 1400 deg, and its pretty easy to cruise a large diesel at just under 900, (over that is bad mm kay) Steel starts to glow at 800 F,

Thanks guys, This morning I did check the spark plug again and it is a good colour and I did tune the saw a hair richer and I do put a little more oil than is needed. This morning I did not notice it at all, It isn't my chainsaw so I am not gonna gut the muffler. It seems to run perfect I just didn't want to accidentally blow this chainsaw engine.

More like about 1100°F but yeah

Craftman-Table.jpg;maxWidth=600

Interesting trivia: Strength of steel actually increases as temperature rises to about 700°F but then drops off fast...

Latest posts

Back