Cherry tree has an internal inhabitant -- how to evict and keep future critters out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrooster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Not only has this fella moved in, it looked like he hammered out some exploratory holes before making the big one. :eek:

The opening is about 6.5 feet up from the ground.

My neighbor has suggested obtaining some PineSol (household cleaner), and spraying in and around the opening until wet. He leads me to believe that the bird(s) will not like the smelly/oily scent and move out. Then he suggested wrapping that section of the tree with fiberglass insect screening to prevent future re-entry. Thoughts? Should I follow this process? Should I "fill" the hole with anything?

Thanks for any advice.

Wrooster

DSCN3898.jpg

DSCN3901.jpg

DSCN3904.jpg

Woodpecker has not moved into your Cherry, just feeding. Control the carpenter ants nesting in the trunk & the birds will go elsewhere. Leave holes alone, do not fill.

Woodpecker has not moved into your Cherry, just feeding. Control the carpenter ants nesting in the trunk & the birds will go elsewhere. Leave holes alone, do not fill.

I tend to agree; the damage is done so why not just enjoy the wildlife?

if pecking continues, you can make your own repellent with garlic and chili in the blender, or buy 'Chew-Stop'.

Got a pic of the base of the tree, showing the upper roots?

That might be the work of a Pileated Woodpecker going by the size of the holes.

The woodpecker may be the tree's not chance to survive. Wouldn't be there if there was no insect life to eat.

Live a positive life!

That is one heavy duty pecker! Leave it, don't fill it with anything. Filling the hole will do more bad than good.

you can make your own repellent with garlic and chili in the blender
Yeah! That work for yellow bellies? You talking chili powder or chili peppers? I have a ghost pepper plant, was thinking about making mace. Never thought about making bird mace.

I would be looking at what the tree will fall on when she goes down.

Birds and trees interact. Avenues lead to decay interaction. Remediation saves the tree.

Not only has this fella moved in, it looked like he hammered out some exploratory holes before making the big one. :eek:looks like some one was using the tree for target practice
moth ball might work

The opening is about 6.5 feet up from the ground.

My neighbor has suggested obtaining some PineSol (household cleaner), and spraying in and around the opening until wet. He leads me to believe that the bird(s) will not like the smelly/oily scent and move out. Then he suggested wrapping that section of the tree with fiberglass insect screening to prevent future re-entry. Thoughts? Should I follow this process? Should I "fill" the hole with anything?

Thanks for any advice.

Wrooster

DSCN3898.jpg

DSCN3901.jpg

DSCN3904.jpg

looks like some one was shooting at the tree
moth balls might keep animals out

Latest posts

Back