Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawhoss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just finished cutting about 2 cord of cherry. Trying to figure out if I should split it in bigger pieces for heating wood, or smaller pieces for fireplace (open) wood. The majority of wood we sell is fireplace wood, but we do sell quite a bit of heating wood. Thanks in advance for your input.

Just finished cutting about 2 cord of cherry. Trying to figure out if I should split it in bigger pieces for heating wood, or smaller pieces for fireplace (open) wood. The majority of wood we sell is fireplace wood, but we do sell quite a bit of heating wood. Thanks in advance for your input.

some people like to smoke or grill with cherry wood...id check it out................

Depend if you can market the cherry to people who have a fireplace, and make a premium on it.

If you can't make extra money selling the cherry to those types, why hassel with splitting it small? More labor involved, should mean more money to you.

Same difference if you are cutting rounds 18-20 inches as opposed to 12 inches. There are many extra cuts in the 12 inch wood to make a truck load, not to mention splitting it is extra labor intensive.

Some may think I am greedy, but if I have to do extra work, I expect to get paid more, or I just won't do it.

split some, put it aside

Stash a few cords of split pure cherry, just put it aside. I bet you'll find a heating customer who would pay a similar premium for it later on in the season, just let it be known you have "split and seasoned pure cherry wood" down well into the season.

The rest like you indicate sell to your fireplace customers as logs, no sense splitting all of it, just more work for the same loot.

Those fireplace folks can pay off big. We used to hand deliver (talking back in the 70s when I worked for some folks doing firewood sales) up elevators into high rise buildings to real expensive apartments that had fireplaces. They paid a premium for real pretty logs. Now, they wouldn't take much, but once you have driven into the city if you have enough customers you can offload a coupla cords and get paid like selling ten "normal" cords...it's sweet. We used an old schoolbus for the wood hauler.

My call?

Cut 2/3 for the stove. It's good for the warmer days midwinter. Lower BTU's than Oak etc. but plenty for when it has warmed up to the 20's and there is no need to run things hot.

The rest split small for the fireplace, also will be nice for mixing with Oak in the stove to get things going, and for thier coals.

A chunk of Cherry in the back of the stove, leaves good coals for the morning restart. Smells great too!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back