Chi Cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the back story for you asking? Is it not a runner so you pulled it to discover why?
Or it is one that came to you as a donor in the first place- not off a running saw? Have you bolted it up to a case and it is showing low compression, excessive end gap measured on a new ring?
Hard to call off those photos but it looks well smooth- not much in the way of cross hatching to be seen.

Whats the back story for you asking? Is it not a runner so you pulled it to discover why?
Or it is one that came to you as a donor in the first place- not off a running saw? Have you bolted it up to a case and it is showing low compression, excessive end gap measured on a new ring?
Hard to call off those photos but it looks well smooth- not much in the way of cross hatching to be seen.
A new cylinder I put on an 066 while I cleaned up my OEM.
Circlip let go (OEM)
Prob had about 6 tanks through it.
Just having a play with it today doing some clean up.
Used a very,very worn flap wheel done bout 6 spins and this is the result.
Used this wheel on other cylinders before and all good.
BTW would never use a new wheel to do this-too abrasive.
Chris.

Looks to me like the plating is gone. The plating on these Chinese cylinders is paper thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Id say you flap wheeled thru the plating...i wouldn't run it...rings dont touch it but the skirts do

A new cylinder I put on an 066 while I cleaned up my OEM.
Circlip let go (OEM)
Prob had about 6 tanks through it.
Just having a play with it today doing some clean up.
Used a very,very worn flap wheel done bout 6 spins and this is the result.
Used this wheel on other cylinders before and all good.
BTW would never use a new wheel to do this-too abrasive.
Chris.

From what little I know about them- the answer is above, from your own clean up description and others replies.

Think of the coating inside these cheap cylinders as the same as the spray on "Tokyo Chrome" that was on the like of 1970's Datsuns.
Looks pretty initially, but 6 months later little rust pits appear everywhere through the chrome and 18 months later the remains of the bumper bar are falling off. The flapwheel just accelerated the process.

Agree operator error.
As said used wheel on others all be it OEM.
Agree on thin plating also.
Was just going to keep it for a spare if needed for short period of time.
Would never fit it permanently to a fully rebuilt 066/660.
BTW thanks for all the replies.

Agree operator error.
As said used wheel on others all be it OEM.
Agree on thin plating also.
Was just going to keep it for a spare if needed for short period of time.
Would never fit it permanently to a fully rebuilt 066/660.
BTW thanks for all the replies.
Good for "experimental grinding" platform? Widen some ports, see if you like it- duplicate same on an OEM?
If it does not work- not much lost.
Can be used to check out a bottom end, a compression vessel.
The cheap ones I have seen never ran as well as the units they replaced, even the extra 2mm ones- I see no gains and possibly some losses- but the saws run and I guess that might be better for the average Joe firewooder than a burned up OEM top end. :)

The flapper wheel is a "no go" on these.
I was replacing an ms441 top end that had the plug hole and the exhaust mount threads ruined ,while waiting for the oem I put a big bore on it. The chrome was THICK but also in the combustion chamber and the decomp and spark plug hole looked like they were stabbed in with an ice pick. I dont know how long it will last, but I have an OEM set on stand by now . Its a shame that the QC wasn't better on that kit because it is one hell of a runner.

Latest posts

Back