Chian grinder or more equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this year has been better to me then I'd planned...

So I can either get me a Simington chisel grinder, a fairly good trailer for moving my equipment, or a used decrepit backhoe.

The grinder saves me time with sharpening chains (theoretically...) still working full time and logging on the side so finding time to sharpen chains and whatnot is tough, I figure the grinder would save me 1 hour a week. Down side its 1k for something I won't use more than an hour a week.

A trailer would allow me to move the skidder and haul some gyppo loads for some of the really small jobs I get from time to time, not to mention opening another revenue stream, albeit not a reliable or lucrative one. Down side... well not really a down side other then finding one thats not junk... and they take up a whole bunch of space. For me the trailer is important, it costs anywhere from $400-$1000 to move the skidder, and finding someone to do it when I want them to move it is a serious pain in the ass. cost around 2-4k

A Backhoe, would allow me to work some of the smaller jobs, load the dump truck with various stuff, build roads a little... well a lot better... Down side is they are expensive for one ready to work, even the old junk I prefer to run, not to mention I'll probably need the trailer before I even think about getting the backhoe. cost 4-8k

And before someone chimes in and says I need a dozer or an excavator... the backhoe does both of those jobs, albeit not as well. And I would rather work with the self loader guys right now being as they don't mind the low production.

P.S. I did find a skagit bu-50 on a kenworth truck for $25,999... notice how its not on the list...

I would say trailer so long as its in good shape. Save money and move your equipment when it's convenient for you not someone else.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I would go with a new shotgun, a case of Buffalo Trace, and a trip to Vegas. Not on the list? Change the list. Hawaii is nice this time of year but you Warshingtinians would probably ignite out in the sun.
them coming from the wet side of Washington are more apt to dry up like a prune /just opposite from being wet and and a prune !! gotta love all that liquid sun shine?? lol

We generally don't start to dry out till sometime in Aug. 2 weeks in Vegas would just start on the outer layers of mold and rust! Where I'm at we're 3.2" above normal rainfall. SlowP and NM may be above that.

2-4 moves with a trailer of your ss, provided you have a capable towing unit and you are money ahead. Yes they are a pain room wise. I have a 5 ton 16ft . so much you can do yourself vs finding or hiring help to fit your schedule

I vote for the Skagit. The sound of whistles echoing around in the fog, and the roar of the yarder pulling is a cheery sound. I'll send you a half rack of Ice House once in a while to keep it going. The swishing noise is good too.

I vote for the Skagit. The sound of whistles echoing around in the fog, and the roar of the yarder pulling is a cheery sound. I'll send you a half rack of Ice House once in a while to keep it going. The swishing noise is good too.
I could just build a whistle, ran off an air compressor, with a big diesel engine... You'll just have to imagine the blaster noises on the rigging...

I vote for the trailer, handy units they are, also you could proberly haul a thing or two for someone else for some extra bucks. Now what kinda trailer you talkin about? What are ya pullin it with?

Looking for a deck over, 16-20' 16k or more. I'll be pulling it with my 70 ford F600. No CDL at this point so I have to stay under 26k.

The folks I bought the truck from have a trailer that would be perfect for sale, and I'll probably end up getting it, they just want a little more for it then I'm willing to pay without an argument...

I'm pretty sure you are going to need a A class CDL with a trailer that size. Your trailer GVWR combined with the truck GVWR is going to be over 26,001#. It's been a few years since I've dealt with Washington CDL's, but in Alaska it is for sure that you need a class A with that setup. Just something to consider.

I'm pretty sure you are going to need a A class CDL with a trailer that size. Your trailer GVWR combined with the truck GVWR is going to be over 26,001#. It's been a few years since I've dealt with Washington CDL's, but in Alaska it is for sure that you need a class A with that setup. Just something to consider.

that is a very good point.

Truck is 9400 with me in it and a full tank, skidder is under 12000, bringing the weight up to 21400, leaving about 4600 for the trailer, which isn't much I know, but its better then paying 4k for a crappy 6 month class and a little tiny letter on my license. I missed out on just taking the test and getting it over with, now you're required to take a course of some sort.

Latest posts

Back