Child killed by falling tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed*L

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sad. I can't imagine what the family is going thru.

Ed

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/42113632.html

Posted: 3:24 AM Mar 30, 2009
Last Updated: 3:24 AM Mar 30, 2009
Reporter: AP

Police say a 6-year-old boy has died after a tree being cut down by his father landed on him near Hastings.
Michigan State Police Trooper Phil Vannette says the child was about 50 feet from the base of the tree that his father was cutting with a chain saw Saturday afternoon when he was struck.
Vannette says the father had told his son to stay inside a truck at the field in Barry County's Hastings Township, which was being cleared for farming.
Vannette says a pile of brush was being burned, and the boy got out to warn his father the fire had spread to some grass. Police say the father apparently wasn't aware that his son had left the truck.

With two boys myself, 4 and 6 I could never imagine the pain the father is going through. A reminder for us all to keep a constant watch on our little ones.

Last edited:
That just kills me thinking about it...I can only imagine the boy thought he was doing the right thing by trying to tell his dad the fire was getting out of control...I am sure the family will never read this, but my prayers go out to the family...

Same story from the chicago tribune
HASTINGS TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A 6-year-old boy has died after a tree being cut down by his father, who was clearing an 80-acre field for farming in Barry County, landed on him, police said.

The child was about 50 feet from the base of the tree that his father was cutting with a chain saw Saturday afternoon when he was struck, Michigan State Police Trooper Phil Vannette said Sunday.

"It's just a horribly tragic accident," Vannette said.

The father had told his son and a 9-year-old girl who is a family friend to stay inside a truck several hundred feet away from where he was cutting at the field in Hastings Township, Vannette said.

A pile of brush was being burned in the field, Vannette said, and the boy got out to warn his father the fire had spread to some grass. Police said the father wasn't aware that his son had left the truck.

"The dad didn't see him," Vannette said.

The father called 911 and attempted to revive the boy, who was taken to a hospital in nearby Hastings and pronounced dead, Vannette said. Hastings is located about 30 miles southeast of Grand Rapids.

Names weren't being released, Vannette said.

An autopsy was planned. Although the death appeared to be an accident, Vannette said reports from the medical examiner's office and police were to be forwarded to the prosecutor's office for review.

Thanks for putting this up. I always make a point of telling kids the whys at the same time as telling them what not to do. They can take in a lot more than we think they can.

My condolences go out to the family.

That is very sad, I feel for the family.
I was cutting down a couple tricky trees for a friend with a couple of young boys, they were playing on the other side of the house with their mother but I looked many many times before and during the back cuts, just to make sure they hadn't come around this side of the house.
Looking back, I probably should've insisted they go inside for the falling, just to keep me focused on the trees.
Ian

There is probably no bigger critic than the father himself right now....and no greater judge than the one whom I'll leave my prayers with on this one.

Wow, my condolences to the family. This story saddens me I couldn't imagine going through what they are.

My request to the do it yourself'ers out there. Please, please get a consultation from a licensed arborist before doing the work yourself. Things go wrong everyday somewhere for even the best of the best, for someone who owns a chainsaw to drop a tree it's a tough thing to do, sometimes the job requires more then just the saw and your brains. Other tools generally are involved in most takedowns.

Again, condolences to the family.

My prayers and thoughts are with the little one and the family. Life is precious and very fragile. One tree, limb, bullet,guardrail, the list goes on and on.....it can be over!

thats really sad and scarey to think of. it reminds me of a guy i know who fell a tree on his dog and killed it. though it pales in comparison. words cant describe how horrific this really is.

We must learn from this! Do not bring children on the work site! They are innocent and completely in the dark of the dangers that they could be exposed to simply by not staying put. These things are preventable!

We must learn from this! Do not bring children on the work site! They are innocent and completely in the dark of the dangers that they could be exposed to simply by not staying put. These things are preventable!

amen to that. as much as fathers want to bond with their young sons and do things with them, there are some things that should be done without them. cutting trees down is one of them.

tragic story indeed.

amen to that. as much as fathers want to bond with their young sons and do things with them, there are some things that should be done without them. cutting trees down is one of them.

tragic story indeed.

x a gizzilion

Back