Child killed by falling tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terrible and tragic, the worst thing that can happen to a parent.

On felling trees as homeowner and kids around i already posted this before..

Buy a rope 4 times the lenght of your highest tree and let your kids pull over the tree when you are felling them. You then, while running your saw, know for sure where they are AND that they are out of the danger zone.
Make them feel involved and responsible for taking part in this dangerous job and tell them the truth about the rope when they are 20.
You'll get a good laugh out of it. (my father did)

I still think that having your kids involved in these things is education.
Over protected kids that end up being parents and having to do the jobs on their own are to my opinion an even bigger danger to themselves and their kids.

it is because of this very reason i do not let my brothers and sisters come with me to work hell i make them stay way back when cutting firewood. this is a very bad and sad sitiaution but lets learn from this. i pray for the family god bless them all

Last edited:
We must learn from this! Do not bring children on the work site! They are innocent and completely in the dark of the dangers that they could be exposed to simply by not staying put. These things are preventable!

i being no more than a young man (12) have been helping dad since my early youth but my dad always buckled me into a racing seat-belt so i couldn't get hurt.but once the saw was off id be picking peics.my dads always made sure i was a good 10+ feet away from him if we were to far from the jeep to be left alone.i am rely glad my dad kept me out of harms way or i might not be saying

KEEP US YOUNGINS A GOOD DISTANCE AWAY

Terrible and tragic, the worst thing that can happen to a parent.

On felling trees as homeowner and kids around i already posted this before..

Buy a rope 4 times the lenght of your highest tree and let your kids pull over the tree when you are felling them. You then, while running your saw, know for sure where they are AND that they are out of the danger zone.
Make them feel involved and responsible for taking part in this dangerous job and tell them the truth about the rope when they are 20.
You'll get a good laugh out of it. (my father did)

I still think that having your kids involved in these things is education.
Over protected kids that end up being parents and having to do the jobs on their own are to my opinion an even bigger danger to themselves and their kids.

Sound advice. Children will move when you tell them to "stay out of the way" but give them a chore to focus on and build their self esteem as you tell them how helpful hauling on that rope is...

Back