Children's Tree Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The guy who was one of my rock and ice climbing insturctors told me an interesting statistic. Larry taught college courses too so he had an educational background.

If the instructor knows 100% of the topic at hand and is able to present 100% of the topic in a lesson, a student is most likely only going to be able to pick up 10%. In order to hope to pick up the rest of the 90%, the student is going to have to study hard and seek out more instructors that know 100%.

Now, if said student takes that 10% and tries to teach, the second generation student will only end up with 0.1% of what the original teacher could convey. Kind of thin soup, don't you think?

If you're climbing with your child, how are you going to be able to teach DdRT technique if you don't know that ascent form inside and out? Stick with what you know. Maybe you could take this opportunity to learn SRT so that when the time comes to teach that method, you'll have it donw pat.

When I take beginning climbers out I set up the rope in a false crotch and tie a long bridge in the split tail. Then I tie a foot stirrup for them to use. The easiest way for new climbers to keep track of the ropes is to have the climbing rope one color, the split tail another and the footloop a third. Then you can just call out the color knot they're supposed to use.

I'm in the middle of a conversion from using a Blake's split tail to using a Distel or Schwabisch for new climbers. The B/S don't lock up as tight as the Blake's.

As soon as the climber is three feet off the ground, tie an overhand on a bight in their climbing rope up below thier friction hitch. This acts as a stopper incase they panic and grab the knot. They might fall and hit limbs on the way down but they will not hit the ground if you tie the stopper high enough. When it's time to descend, tell them that they are supposed to come down "Like a feather, not a rock!"

What harness did you get? for small children you should have a full body harness so they don't fall out of a climbing saddle.

Find a tree with many low branches and set your climbing rope near by so you can be close by. Once you get to the limbs, try some limb walking. Maybe bring along some snacks to make an adventure.

Last...have a lot of patience :) What a joy to have children to climb with. When I get together with my nieces we always go climbing. They both have their own set of gear. Saddle, rope, helmet, etc.

Tom

I would say a blakes on fixed tail to begin with, with a center attachment. Less moving parts to confuse with.

All the kid's climbs Ive been around have used the foot prussick tom talks about. The tend to be not strong enough to FL. At that age the trailing end of the rope may outweigh them.

If you're planning on learning to footlock, I
d suggest going right to learning SRT. It's a much more productive system and safer that using a doubled rope.

The Companion should be read by every climber before they buy anything else.

Did you read my SRT article in TCI? If not, email me off line, I'll send it to anyone.

Tom

Back