Chimney Brushes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999HarleyRN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We had our masonary chimney re-lined last year with flexible stainless steel. I was looking to buy a set of brushes and was wondering, do I need to use nylon, or will wire brushes be ok. Any input would be appreciated, those liners were too expensive to risk screwing them up.

1999HarleyRN My wife is a RN at Crouse and hides a 2000 Fatboy.

Metal will not hurt a thing.

Welcome and good luck.

Michael

The people who sold me my insert recommended the poly. They told me the metal brushes would damage the liner.

I use the nylon brush on my liner, and here's a pic of the crap I removed from last season.

The people who sold me my insert recommended the poly. They told me the metal brushes would damage the liner.

Same here. The installer said I could use metal, but it would leave scratches on the liner that would catch and hold material and cause more buildup. The ploy seems to work fine and not much difference in price, just harder to find.

Same here. The installer said I could use metal, but it would leave scratches on the liner that would catch and hold material and cause more buildup. The ploy seems to work fine and not much difference in price, just harder to find.

Just got one on ebay for $10.99.I used the rope and weight (dumbell) method for the first time, and I think I will buy another set of rods.The weight kept catching and I couldn't brush as hard as I would have liked to.I will say that my insulated chimney only had about a soup can size pile of material, whereas an un-insulated chimney at our former home would have had more than a gallon can full.

Used a poly on my Simpson Duravent all last season. I'd clean it every month or two as it only takes a few minutes and I can clean it from ground level by taking the cap off the bottom of the T.

Worked REALLY well and well worth the investment to buy the rods and brush and do it myself.

Back