Chimney liner question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, this topic has been coming up a lot, and even inspired me to line my chimney, but I have more questions.

Right now I have a stove with an 8" flue, so i was going to get an 8" liner.

In the future, I will probably switch to a stove with a 6" flue. Would I have to get a 6" liner?

I currently am using an 8" stove on a 6" chimney flue and it has worked fine. I'm told however the chimney if downsized from the stove, should be rather tall. I'm 32' of double wall insulated pipe and 6' from stove to ceiling.

I currently am using an 8" stove on a 6" chimney flue and it has worked fine. I'm told however the chimney if downsized from the stove, should be rather tall. I'm 32' of double wall insulated pipe and 6' from stove to ceiling.

im necked down to 6" where the stovepipe goes into the chimney, but thats after 6ft of 8" stovepipe. The chimney runs about 15' up from there.

Do I need to line it all the way down to the basement and put a "T" where the stove comes in at the main level?

I realize these are probably obvious questions, but Im just trying to get a grasp for what is going on.

Ive already been saved from one contractor by arboristsite.:cheers:

I had the same issue and decided to compromise. I used a 7" liner. My stove (Morso) has a 6" outlet. I figured that although it's unlikely that I'll ever get a different stove, if for some reason I decide to move up to an 8" outlet, 7" will still work.

Code does not allow for downsizing.Upsizing it does.
Code also says to follow the manufactures directions...go figure.

chainsawaddict;
I think crappiekeith is right. Code will not allow you to go smaller. But if you are currently having no problems with your current set up, go with it. Most stoves accept a 6 inch pipe and have plenty of draft. I have a 6" pipe going into a 8by8 insulated tile flue and it works just fine. If the flue would ever crack I would not hesitate to install a 6" round ss liner and go direct hook to the stove. In any case 6"s should be large enough for all but the largest fireboxes in a wood stove.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Most new stoves I've seen have 6 inch outlets.

Both my woodstove and fireplace insert are EPA units and both have 6 inch outlets.

That is my point exactly. You really don't need any bigger than a 6 inch chimney.
Larger only slows down the speed of the gases.

Last edited:
Back