Chimney Liner Question ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting in a chimney liner. Currently have the old square 8x12 terracotta type liner with a brick chimney, it's about 12 years old. Based on the rest of the construction projects completed by the prior owner, I'm not comfortable with the chimney. What's a better liner the stainless steel flex pipe or the type that comes in sections? Anybody out there had to insall a chimney liner ?

are you removing the terra cotta?....this is what I've been told do to. Also been told the SS insert needs to be as smooth as possible.

My place is a rancher, walkout basement, chimney is about 25 ft from ground.
Did you install the flex type or smooth????

are you removing the terra cotta?....this is what I've been told do to. Also been told the SS insert needs to be as smooth as possible.

Why would you do this? How would you do this? You have plenty of room to put in an insulated liner, and , with occasional cleanings I would not worry about it being smooth. I cleaned one for years with a regular steel brush without a problem, but can see the sense in going with a poly brush for the stainless.

I wonder why builders are still building masonry chimneys? 12yrs old isn't that old. By now I would have thought they would be a thing of the past. If you have a joggle at the bottom you'll probably need flex. But if its straight by all means do class "A" and have a bullet proof chimney.

Put the liner inside the flue tile. You wouldn't remove the flue tile. I have a flex liner, and its what I'd recommend. Installation is pretty straightforward, something a handy person could do with a second person to assist.

I wonder why builders are still building masonry chimneys? 12yrs old isn't that old. By now I would have thought they would be a thing of the past. If you have a joggle at the bottom you'll probably need flex. But if its straight by all means do class "A" and have a bullet proof chimney.

I think class "A" would be overkill in a chimney lined with a clay tile, but to each his own.You could replace the flex 3 or 4 times for the same price.

I think class "A" would be overkill in a chimney lined with a clay tile, but to each his own.You could replace the flex 3 or 4 times for the same price.
True , I was just thinking about how nice the smooth is over the ridges in the flex. There is an air insulated chimney pipe doubled wall but don't know anything about price vs flex liner. 2 guys here at work just did theirs and they reported about a grand to do it with insulated flex and approx 25' chimney.

I'm certainly no expert, can only say what I've been told. One contractor said he would use some sort of rotary tool to break up the terra cotta to remove it and said the smooth insulated would be easier to clean, less likely to have creosote build up. I have to look inyo it further before doing the boiler install later this year.

I'm certainly no expert, can only say what I've been told. One contractor said he would use some sort of rotary tool to break up the terra cotta to remove it and said the smooth insulated would be easier to clean, less likely to have creosote build up. I have to look inyo it further before doing the boiler install later this year.

He is wrong and must have a boat payment due.Yes, the flex is marginally more capable of catching creosote, but if you insulate it you will not get the cooling that is the biggest cause of build-up.You would probably even have room to fill the flue cavity with vermiculite for added insulation.Plan on cleaning it twice a year and you will not have a problem.

Go with the flex and install it yourself with a helper. $500-$600 should get it done for a $25 foot run. I have two of them too do this summer. By the way 12 yrs old is nothing. My 3 chimneys are brick and 2 are original 200+ years old. Here's a video of the install. :cheers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRauuzjI-H4

KFC, when they did the install for my wood stove insert, they used the flex liner. I think it will be less hassel for you. Especially making the bend from the fire box to the flue.

Dont break out the terra cotta!!!

The guys who suggest that they will break out the terra cotta liner are full of SH#T. :chainsaw:

They just want to charge you an extra $1000 for the labor and material removal. And you end up with a huge dusty mess for no reason.

We just paid an installer ~$2700 for lining both of my flues - they go up 40'+ and I didn't have any good way of getting up there without a man-lift.

I'm willing to bet the terra cotta liner is in pretty decent shape. If it's 12 years old, unless the foundation is shoddy and the home and chimney have shifted, the liner should be a-ok. Take a look up the flue with a flashlight and see if the tiles line up. This is where a flex liner will be a benefit.

And I agree with the others 8x12 is too big for most modern wood burning appliances. Most modern inserts and wood stoves use 6" flue - but some use 8" so make sure you don't need an 8" flue for that monster wood-burning furnace. :)

With a SS flex liner and the terra cotta liner, AND a brick masonry chimney stack, you have EXXXXtra protection against a chimney fire getting out-of-hand. And if you DO have a chimney fire, you don't have to replace all of the masonry flue tiles ($$$$).

You can insulate the liner (ideal) or, since you are sealing the top and bottom of the terra cotta against the SS liner, you have a pretty good dead-air insulation space. With 6" flex going down an 8x12 flue, there isn't much space for an insulation wrap (1" on either side).

Just my $0.06 worth. :monkey::givebeer:

Thanks for the video....I think it will save me some $$ this summer! Are there different quality liners out there?

WoW, thanks for all the info folks, the flex liner sure looks to be the easier installation and cheaper way to go. NorthlineExpress.com offers the chimney liners at a good price, looks like and April - May job.

Not true...
A high temp furnace requires a Class A flue .
It is also called an All fuel flue or high temp flue.
These terms indicate that the flue is rated for 2100 degrees.
As per NFPA heating code.

Back