Chimney Liner questions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've bought a used Squire insert wood stove. I have an 80s vintage brick chimney w 13" square clay flue and about 12' tall from the damper or the the top of the smoke chamber. Do I really need to put a liner in the chimney and attach it to the outlet of the stove? We used inserts in the house where I grew up, w the same clay flue and just stuffed the stove in there w the damper removed from the chimney. We did have one flue fire but that happened years later when someone left the damper open when the stove was full, and the front of the stove was glowing and blowing like an engine. We also never cleaned the chimney until that fire. I have tools to clean the flue and we've used this fireplace every winter since 2003. I finally cleaned it a few years ago and it was actually pretty clean/not a lot of buildup, mostly @ the motor joints.

I've bought a used Squire insert wood stove. I have an 80s vintage brick chimney w 13" square clay flue and about 12' tall from the damper or the the top of the smoke chamber. Do I really need to put a liner in the chimney and attach it to the outlet of the stove? We used inserts in the house I grew up, w the same clay flue and just stuffed the stove in there w the damper removed from the chimney. We did have one flue fire but that happened years later when someone left the damper open when the stove was full, and the front of the stove was glowing and blowing like an engine. We also never cleaned the chimney until that fire. I have tools to clean the flue and we've used this fireplace every winter since 2003. I finally cleaned it a few years ago and it was actually pretty clean/not a lot of buildup, mostly @ the motor joints.

I think the reason to line an old chimney is the clay cracks over time. Burn some not so dry wood or choke down your fire to much and you get creosote. Creosote seeps into the cracks and out through the old mortar in the chimney. Cold day, stove is blazing, chimney fire starts and because the creosote is through the chimney fire gets into your walls. Bad deal. Get the liner and have piece of mind. I don’t recommend doing it but I know a guy who would light his one piece liner on purpose to clean it out.

Beyond all the requirements that may say you need one, which may vary from place to place, country to country, they are a good idea.
As already mentioned above, reduces risk of fire spread, also if you can install an insulated liner, you will have a hot, well drawing flue, and that will help your stove run better anyway, and reduce the chance of creosote build up.
if it was mine, i would go new insulated liner over old existing chimney any day, well I realise that they cost, but I feel its worth it far beyond just doing things to code, and anyway, those codes are put in place for a reason, usually because someone else did something stupid, and we all have to suffer the new rules, but hey, some are well thought out and worth while.

T

'Do I really need to?'

That's a wide open question.

You could likely burn the insert without it. But it would be more dangerous and you would be losing a lot of heat up the chimney. And your insurance company would likely throw all kinds of red flags if they saw it done. Sounds like a slammer install, which isn't the best way to do things.

Don't know anything about a Squire though. Does it have a manual?

I would do an insulated steel liner with block off plate. 13" is lots of room to get one in.

That would be a slammer install. I wouldn't want a bunch of creosote fall from the flue onto the insert causing a fire. The nice thing about a liner is not only peace of mind, but it's there if you ever change anything out. If you dont have an adaptor, I'd have one made to adapt your insert to a liner. I also wouldn't want to pull the insert to clean the chimney without a liner.

You'll never pass inspection for homeowners insurance without lining it, and any modern insert won't run correctly with an oversized non insulated chimney.

That being said, those old Squire smoke dragons may lack required certifications your homeowners insurance company is going to stand fast on. Do your homework on any stove installation before you throw time and money at it to make sure it's up to codes and insurable.

Insurance companies will walk away from a claim if you backdoor them on an installation that isn't up to snuff.

Typically a liner is to keep moisture out of the chimney. In the case of an insert you dont want moisture to crack the tiles and you want to not have creosote build up. Line the chimney and that liner should hold enough heat to get rid of the creosote and not harm the clay chimney. The issue with not lining it is it might not get hot enough to keep it in good safe shape. Those fireplaces burn at 100 percent combustion. They burn hot and fast and all the heat goes up the chimney keeping it hot. I also dont think they really produce creosote due to the unlimited air supply.

Of course, when it comes to cleaning the chimney, having a liner means using only one brush. AND everything stays IN the liner; not all over the smoke shelf, inside the fireplace, as well as on top of your stove insert

Of course, when it comes to cleaning the chimney, having a liner means using only one brush. AND everything stays IN the liner; not all over the smoke shelf, inside the fireplace, as well as on top of your stove insert
This is true. Any black or brown stuff from sweep brush will end up back in the stove to be reburned.

Back