Chinee MS440 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They just came out with MS440 crankcase halves , so Definitive Dave wanted some tested before he starts selling them .
Pose to be making 440 tanks soon also ?
Everything went together easy as could be ! I even checked them with OEM case halves , matched up perfect !
Chinee parts are , case halves,clutch cover,recoil,muffler,coil & wrap when it gets here . Used crank , oil pump , flywheel ,clutch & drum , everything else is new OEM .
Need to sit down and figure up the cost of this baby ! Less than a new one , but not by much I am guessing . LOLDSCN2850.JPG DSCN2851.JPG DSCN2852.JPG DSCN2853.JPG DSCN2854.JPG DSCN2855.JPG DSCN2856.JPG DSCN2858.JPG

Ring end gap was a little big , I tried Cabers and OEM rings also , but the ones that came with it were the best at .015 I think it was ?
Only getting 140 compression right now , hope it comes up a little once I run it some . Squish was good at .023 , just sucks the ring gap is so big . I have used a lot of AM top ends , never had this problem with the rings before .
Just had to put a Magnum sticker on it with the BB kit ! LOL
I replaced the recoil badge with a OEM one , fit perfect !

Will update soon as the rest of my parts get here !
Sending it off to be tested with my wood supplier buddy , he will run the P right out of it ! LOL

Attachments

• DSCN2869.JPG
    DSCN2869.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN2871.JPG
    DSCN2871.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN2873 (2).JPG
    DSCN2873 (2).JPG
    111 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN2874 (2).JPG
    DSCN2874 (2).JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2874.JPG
    DSCN2874.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN2875.JPG
    DSCN2875.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 129
I was under the impression that installing the crank with the seals pre-installed will damage the seals? I have never tried this, only read that.

Saw looks great by the way.:rock:

You have to be careful with the seal on the clutch side as there is a step in the crank that has to be eased through the seal. To get the seal over that step some sort of tapered slide needs to be used, electrical tape, film negatives, thin plastic film or even winding on fine string or thread has been used. Stihl and Husqvarna sell a tapered cone tool for this install also.

I used film negatives . Cut it where it just overlaps , then piece of scotch tape to hold it .

Its now running !! Put a ugly old 044 wrap I had here so it could be started this year ! LOL The dual port muffler sounds real MEEN !! LOL
Just gotta wait for the air filter and parts so I can try it in some wood .
Then its off to my buddy to run the P out of it ! Will update on how its holding up as he runs it .

Just out of morbid curiosity, how much would it cost a fellow to build one of them
"Wun hung low" chinee 440 clones?
Might have to try one. :eek:

Ran it twice so far , let it cool down good then checked compression , 190 now ! Thinking maybe me and my tester goofed the first time I only got 140 ? Never seen one go up 50 pis. before ?
Very surprised with that big ring end gap ! May make it up to 200 after a few tanks ? No problem if it don't , 190 is plenty for me ! LOL

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. You definitely have given me some inspiration tbone! The saw looks great too!
For me its just a great feeling to take a pile of pieces and make a saw out of it ! This is the second chinee sorta build . First one was a Stihl 361 , now you can get almost every part to build it AM now ! May have to do that sometime ? Right now I stihl have a chinee 660 to build , it will be 99% AM parts if not all . Plus I also have the parts to build a AM 372 sitting here. LOL
The 440 is stihl costly to build with all the OEM parts you need . Just tried to figure up what it would cost to build one all new OEM and AM parts , 750.00 to 800.00 ! But once the come out with the tank and hopefully top covers , should knock off bout 200.00 ? They have a lot of 440/044 parts now , but not enough !
Only way to tell this case isn't OEM , no numbers on it ! Everything fits and works perfect ! Not real sure how to tell how strong it is till its just used a lot . My buddy will take care of that part real well , he cuts a pile of wood all year long ! He will use this one as much as possible to test it . His small saw is a 460 plus 2 - 660s now is all he uses . I hope this BB kit will stay close to his 460 ? I just put a new piston in it for him last week . No base gasket , its a little over 200 compression ! And hes not real happy bout that ! LOL Dang thing bloodied my knuckles first time I fire it up ! LOL Good chance I will have to put a gasket back in it . LOL
Going to run a 25" bar on the 440 , same as his 460 , something he use to . Should give it a good test .

When I get round to putting the AM 660 & 372 together , I will start threads on them .

Nice work T-bone. Did I see you built another complete Chinese saw (husky maybe)? I think I remember reading about it on that other site where the porcine hang out. What ever happened to that baby? Did it hold up?

Nice work T-bone. Did I see you built another complete Chinese saw (husky maybe)? I think I remember reading about it on that other site where the porcine hang out. What ever happened to that baby? Did it hold up?
I built a 361 first , its stihl running great !! Don't think OEM has anything on it ! I will be building a chinee 372 some time soon I hope ? I also see they have most of the parts to build a 272 ! :)

I am a odd ball , I like Stihl and Husky both ! :D And many other brands too ! :crazy2:

Where is the 361? They were selling some part lots for 272's pretty damn cheap for a while. I bought one where I needed some parts for a 268xp and made out quite well I felt using 4-5 of the parts.

They'll have whole MS440's out soon. Things to look for are casting flaws which can cause big issues. Some of these are under the paint and impossible to see. Also pays to use OEM antivibe, filter, and clutch springs too.

They just came out with MS440 crankcase halves , so Definitive Dave wanted some tested before he starts selling them .
Pose to be making 440 tanks soon also ?
Everything went together easy as could be ! I even checked them with OEM case halves , matched up perfect !
Chinee parts are , case halves,clutch cover,recoil,muffler,coil & wrap when it gets here . Used crank , oil pump , flywheel ,clutch & drum , everything else is new OEM .
Need to sit down and figure up the cost of this baby ! Less than a new one , but not by much I am guessing . LOLView attachment 390830 View attachment 390832 View attachment 390833 View attachment 390834 View attachment 390835 View attachment 390836 View attachment 390837 View attachment 390838
Who sell theese cases? looking very good quality, for wich others modes have?

Cool thread T-bone!! l thought the china case looks good. l suppose the skill is finding the formular of oem and am parts to make a solid saw. l think oem AV as mentioned would be important. Why don't the chinese fellas make us some cheap MS200 plastics? l am rebuilding one with oem parts and l think it will end up costing more than a new one lol.

There are suppose to be making 200T parts some place over there . Just no idea when they will get them out where we can buy them ?
They'll have whole MS440's out soon. Things to look for are casting flaws which can cause big issues. Some of these are under the paint and impossible to see. Also pays to use OEM antivibe, filter, and clutch springs too.
Its all new OEM AVs in this one . OEM clutch and drum also .

Latest posts

Back