Chinese Decomp valve..your thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altair

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finished my mates MS660, on second startup the plastic top flew off the AM decomp valve. Luckily the stem didn't fall into the engine. When I unscrewed it it fell apart into my hands..would have destroyed the top end for sure.
Are the AM decomp valves normally okay? Or am I playing Russian Roulette using one? Bearing in mind from memory a Stihl decomp valve in NZ will be megabucks.
Cheers

I plugged all 4 of my china 372s
The chinese decomps suck.
Button's fell off or they didn't work properly sometimes..
I put d ring handles on mine.
I like them.

I had one come loose early this spring. One moment it was running great then would not start. Finally discovered the plunger was about ready to go in to the piston. I machined a small grove near the top of the plunger and put a clip on it and then brazed the clip as a back up so it will not go into the piston. I looked for replacement decomp valve and found that they are hard to come by maybe for a $100, but have not looked lately. Thanks

No issues here with the aftermarket ones. Have one on a 360 and 460 and Husqy 288. All the saws have plenty of hours.

Guess I'm lucky?

I normally use them, didn't used to but kept breaking recoil parts or the rope even.

The plastic top also popped off the valve supplied with my 660kit after 2 tanks or so. I was expecting it to happen and was going to just plug the hole but I didn't see no harm in attempting a fix first by making a new top as per this post: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/huztl-ms660.300307/page-131#post-6217621

I'll take a photo at some point but it's very very similar (I'm not creative at all but can copy good ideas) It took all of 20 mins on the lathe (I'm just a beginner machinist). Can't remember the stem diameter off the top of my head but just made the fit as tight as I possibly dare - added some permanent threadlock and pressed it on. 10+ tanks later its still firmly attached with no sign of it coming loose...

Back