Chinese replacement carb for 1998 Husqvarna 55--is there one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mildcat55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. This is my first post as a newbie, so I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I currently have a 1998 model Husqvarna 55 that sat for a long time and doesn't want to run. I replaced the manifold bushing, fuel filter and lines, plug, etc. I believe the original Zama C1Q-EL7 carb is shot as far as gaskets, etc. I tried soaking it in mineral spirits for a couple of days but no dice.

Since I'm on a very tight budget right now, I'd like to buy one of the Chinese replacement carbs for the saw rather than try and rebuild the original Zama. However, all I've been able to locate seem to be replacements for the Walbro 170 carbs that came on many of the other years of Model 55's. None of the Chinese carbs seem to bear Zama stock #'s or mention Zama compatibility. However, these Chinese Walbro 170 replacements look nearly identical to the Zama EL7 that is currently on my saw. Does anyone know whether one will work as a replacement, or whether there is actually a Chinese replacement carb that will work on my 1998 model saw? Thanks to anyone for any advisement, and God bless all!

Your first job is to remove & strip the fitted carb you will probably find a easy spotted fault in which case a rebuild kit is the cheapest fix

Thanks, Little Al and svk, for your responses. My problem with rebuilding is one of simple time constraints and economics. Because of my work load hours and the fact that one of the chinese carbs (if one will indeed will fit ok) is as cheap or cheaper than a rebuild kit (not to mention the fact that I've never rebuilt one before) are the factors guiding me. I might get someone to rebuild the Zama for me in future when I'm in better shape time-wise and money-wise, but right now, I'd simply like to get the saw running ok so it can be used asap if needed.

Off hand I don’t know what carbs will interchange with yours and be able to use the same linkages.

I’d still recommend a carb kit, a new one can be installed in less than 15 minutes.

Did you disassemble the carb and clean the brass screen in it?
No. As I said earlier, I haven't taken the carb apart because of workload time restraints and the fact that I've never rebuilt one before, plus the chinese carbs I've found are usually cheaper than a rebuild kit.

Off hand I don’t know what carbs will interchange with yours and be able to use the same linkages.

I’d still recommend a carb kit, a new one can be installed in less than 15 minutes.

But, can someone who's never rebuilt one before do it in that length of time?

Yes, 15 minutes easily once the carb is off the saw. Once you have experience you can probably do it in 5 minutes.
Would any special (i.e. very small) tools be needed to do a rebuild?

No besides a small screwdriver. Having some carb cleaner to blow through the orifices is helpful.
Thanks for your all your responses and info, svk. I guess I'll try and somehow find the time to try the rebuild, since I'm unsure about about the proper fit of the chinese replacements.

Just note the high and low speed screw adjustments before disassembly. Then put them to those settings after the kit has been installed. You will want to check tune but the previous starting point is a good reference.

Thanks, Little Al and svk, for your responses. My problem with rebuilding is one of simple time constraints and economics. Because of my work load hours and the fact that one of the chinese carbs (if one will indeed will fit ok) is as cheap or cheaper than a rebuild kit (not to mention the fact that I've never rebuilt one before) are the factors guiding me. I might get someone to rebuild the Zama for me in future when I'm in better shape time-wise and money-wise, but right now, I'd simply like to get the saw running ok so it can be used asap if needed.

As several folks have said it is a very simple task to go through a carb. Those that have done it a few times can do it in less than 15 minutes. It is so common that almost all saws need this done several times before they are retired. There are many carbs that will inter change, but almost all the linkage will have to changed to fit your needs. try digging into yours then if all fails send it to some one. Thanks

As several folks have said it is a very simple task to go through a carb. Those that have done it a few times can do it in less than 15 minutes. It is so common that almost all saws need this done several times before they are retired. There are many carbs that will inter change, but almost all the linkage will have to changed to fit your needs. try digging into yours then if all fails send it to some one. Thanks
SVK and Ted, and all who offered responses--thanks so much for your info and encouragement. I've decided to give the rebuild a shot, keeping in mind the suggestions you've given me. BTW, the 1998 model 55 I have is one of the more desirable models of that model line if I understand correctly, isn't it?

SVK and Ted, and all who offered responses--thanks so much for your info and encouragement. I've decided to give the rebuild a shot, keeping in mind the suggestions you've given me. BTW, the 1998 model 55 I have is one of the more desirable models of that model line if I understand correctly, isn't it?
Take a look at cylinder base on the clutch side. Closed port will have ++++ cast into it.

Even without CP cylinder it’s a great saw. I just built one to give to my uncle and will be building another with the leftovers from this project.

Don't be afraid to buy an A/M carb for your 55. I was leery of non oem carbs, until I starter using them. I have rebuilt many carbs, and replaced many. Rebuild kits are no guarantee, but I have yet to get a bad A/M carb (not saying they aren't out there). They're cheap, grab one and chime back in here.

Take a look at cylinder base on the clutch side. Closed port will have ++++ cast into it.

Even without CP cylinder it’s a great saw. I just built one to give to my uncle and will be building another with the leftovers from this project.
SVK, my "avatar" photo is an actual one of the model 55 I've discussed in my post. It appears to have at least six crosses cast there.

Don't be afraid to buy an A/M carb for your 55. I was leery of non oem carbs, until I starter using them. I have rebuilt many carbs, and replaced many. Rebuild kits are no guarantee, but I have yet to get a bad A/M carb (not saying they aren't out there). They're cheap, grab one and chime back in here.
Thanks for the information. Is there any A/M carb in specific that you would recommend I try on my 55 which has the Zama C1Q-EL7 carb?

Latest posts

Back