chipper dump trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alott

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi guys i was on line the other day and saw a dump trailer with a chipper mounted on the front i was wondering if any one has any info on this piece please reply to [email protected] if you have any info
thanks, alott

I think brush bandit is the only one that makes a chipper with dump box on trailer from the factory. I think it is a 9 inch chipper unsure on how big the box is. Look on the brush bandit wed for more info.

Mike

Limited capacity, limited access to the feed chute because it is near the front of the trailer between the box and tow vehicle, not very popular but perhaps it has limited specialty applications.

I've seen several used ones for sale cheap, usually very low hours (100 or less). Last one I saw had 80 hours and was priced about 1/2 the cost of a new one. Forgot where I saw it, last year some time.

There is a guy here who gets by with one. I would never use anything less than a 12". Anything smaller and you have to handle the brush too much. I would just as well cut brush in a trailer before I fight a tiny chipper. Or watch my money fly away while I pay people to fight a tiny chipper.

I worked for someone who had a 6" Vermeer mounted in front of the chip box, which dumped to the rear; this was a custom built trailer, the chipper orginally had wheels.The whole set up was a real pain because the chipper was not big enough for some of the stuff being chipped, and clogged repeatedly. I much prefer a 9". The other chipper this guy had was a 12", which was huge over kill for most of his jobs, and it did not seem to be set up right and clogged often too; I gave up one afternoon when it clogged for the fourth time.

Years ago I worked for a company that had one. It was made by Promark which was bought by Gravley I believe. It was a 6" chipper that was mounted to a tray so you could swing it to either side of the trailer. You could also swing about 90 degrees with the truck still attached. The benifit was that you could stack brush all around then swing the feed shoot around to the brush. It made stacking and chipping much more effecient. If you wanted to remove the truck brush could be stacked about 270 degrees, this could be helpful on certain jobs. 95% of the work we did was ornamental pruning so the 6" capicity wasn't to limiting. Never had problems clogging if you knew how to chip with it. Overall for the ornamental pruning it was a good unit.

The biggest disadvantage was that it acted like a big parachute and produced a lot of drag. Not good for gas mileage.

We considered purchasing of of these years ago.

Decided not to for reasons stated by 165. Could work though if all you are going to do is very small chipping/small jobs

I have two customers who have simply bought a good dump trailer and a chipper and had a local fabricator mount the machine on the front. If you do your homework this set-up has worked real well. I spent quite some time helping design the set-up for these guys and it turned out to be significantly cheaper. You can get a dump trailer for about 6-7K and spend 10K an a chipper.

Latest posts

Back