chipper knives life?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTreemonkey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I dont have a chipper but i will be getting one soon. and the question is - how long do those knives last? Lets say you had to do a typical (45 foot?) pecan removal and had to chip everything with in size (12 inch and less), how long would they last? 3-4 trees? more?

I dont have a chipper but i will be getting one soon. and the question is - how long do those knives last? Lets say you had to do a typical (45 foot?) pecan removal and had to chip everything with in size (12 inch and less), how long would they last? 3-4 trees? more?

More, way more. But its like "how long does a chain last" If you whatch what you feed it, a long while. If you put what you raked up of the road through it, rocks and all, not long.

we dont put ANY rocks thru the chipper. will kill your knives immediatly. like taking a chainsaw to concrete. wet leaves are dirty leaves, and dirt is just as bad. if you do put the rakings thru, run a couple pieces of wood thru at the same time, it saves on clogging. hardwoods i put as little wood thru the chipper as possible. im talking 3-4 inches on a 14 inch machine. youd be amazed how much of a difference the is between a maple and a pecan. i dont know where your at but if your eating up pecans like that you might be on oklahoma huh? pecan is EXCELLENT fire wood, especially when you mix it with ash. im sure saving as much would as you could would be a good thing. sell the stuff by the load in whatever lengths it leaves the tree. sell it to the firewood guys or even run a ad in the newspaper. if they need it cut to firewood length do it after you dump and chargem extra.

we touch them up everyday with a dremil and stone, bout every 8 to 10 weeks we flip them or send them to the machine shop bout $ 1.25 an inch been doing this for 15 years oh and then your anvil flip it about every 2 sets of knives.:clap: take the time to throw the knarly wood in the back of the chip truck, big dead mulberry, nasty locust, mesquite and iron wood is baaad on MR. CHIPPER

Last edited:
don't let master locks in there either...

Or barbed wire. I have no idea what a pecan tree even looks like but I can say keep your wood clean. Knock off as much loose dirt as you can and never put anything you had to sweep up through the chipper. If you haven't owned a chipper before find out from the dealer how to set the anvil clearance. Don't overuse the knife bolts. Have a spare set of knives so one can be at the shop and you can still keep working.

its the same as a chain saw dirt will kill it tom trees:cry:

Latest posts

Back