Chipper Safety Features

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Quick question for you guys. Have a BC1000XL (85 hp)right now. In the future I may upgrade to a 15 inch drum or disk with hydraulic feed and a winch. I am a big fan of bandit (very close dealer and nice people) and do not have anything against terex, vermeer, mobark, carlton, altec or any other brands. I have been shopping around some. In my past experience I find a lot of comfort and safety in the dual push bars. The one on top is nice for reversing the rollers if something gets stuck or if you need to stop the feed roller. I don't see any other brands with the bar along the bottom of the feed chute. It seems like all commercial chippers should have a feature like the bottom push bar in the event you were to get caught (their legs would hit it) or trip pulling brush and land in the feed chute? I am aware that on a chipper with a winch you would need a way to disable that feature to keep branches from hitting it but why isn't it a feature on the hand fed mobarks, terexs, bandits or carltons? I was wondering what you thought of the safety features on the bandits compared to other machines. Thanks for your help guys.

The bar gets in the way quite often I have been told. You have to reset the thing and the control bar every time it is tripped. I have no problem with one control bar at the top.

I found out Bandit machines can be manufactured with one or have one installed for around 2000 bucks. The bar tends to get in the way on the Vermeer every now and then but I sometimes get paranoid about slipping on the grass or mud in front of the chute trying to pull brush and found the feature gives me some comfort, even thought I have never needed it in an emergency. Thanks for the reply

Back