Chipper trap doors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they put the door on to comply with saftey standards; to cover moving parts. But I am really not sure. I keep mine open all the time.

I like to keep it open but it does leave a piles of debris there. If you do decide open is the way to go still close the door during travel or you risk bending it if it hits something.

I belive they are suppose to keep the feeder wheel bearings from wearing out faster. Bark and debris get caught up in the feeder wheels and the starting and stopping of the wheels can wear on them faster especially. Also I think the idea is that the small rocks will get caught up in the wheels and fall out the trap doors rather than go through the chipper at least thats how I understand it.

I belive they are suppose to keep the feeder wheel bearings from wearing out faster. Bark and debris get caught up in the feeder wheels and the starting and stopping of the wheels can wear on them faster especially. Also I think the idea is that the small rocks will get caught up in the wheels and fall out the trap doors rather than go through the chipper at least thats how I understand it.

Yes, there are many good reasons to have the door open but why have it closed?

I like to keep it open but it does leave a piles of debris there. If you do decide open is the way to go still close the door during travel or you risk bending it if it hits something.

I throw a rubbermaid tote under to contain the grindage. I have no choice since my helper backed over a stump or should I say my last helper.:laugh:

I throw a rubbermaid tote under to contain the grindage. I have no choice since my helper backed over a stump or should I say my last helper.:laugh:

Well, you shouldn't just let the thing hang down like that. You have to tie it up so its outta the way.
Maybe you should rephrase your statement: I had left the door hanging down and when someone tried to move the truck it got damaged.

Well, you shouldn't just let the thing hang down like that. You have to tie it up so its outta the way.
Maybe you should rephrase your statement: I had left the door hanging down and when someone tried to move the truck it got damaged.
Yeah right. The problem was it wasn't down. It is now though, soon to be gone like him.

The company I worked for had alot of chipping jobs in very rough off situations esp a riverbed. The door gets banged up pretty badly on those 6 week jobs. The chipper is moved around with a tractor and the driver can't see much behind him, he just follows the crew all day long. Still the door hasn't gotten torn off yet.

if you work in the winter the slush and snow can collect and freeze up the wheels if the door is left closed.

when working in clean conditions where you dont want to have to rake extra close the door. when working where grit, gravel, ice etc can get into the chipper. open the door to let this stuff fall out before entering the disc/drum area.

Latest posts

Back