Chipper wont run !!ARRGHHH...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer07

Reaction score
Ive got a 6" entec chipper which has been running great for 2 yrs no probs.
But on saturday as we were about to chip up a load of conifers the engine cut out whilst it was ticking over.
On tryin to restart it it fired up no probs...but on releasing the key from the initial start position to run, it stops immediately...??
It will only run with the key in the start position..which is not good as the starter motor is still engaged.

The engine is a kubota V1205-E..diesel 4 cyl engine
With it being Easter everwhere has closed down for a few days so any light on where the problem could be is much apreciated..

I'm not familiar with the chipper. I'd start with the ignition switch. If you have easy access to the terminals put a meter or test light on the the terminal that runs the fuel solenoid. If there's voltage to the terminal then check the wire that runs from the terminal to the solenoid. You might try running a jumper wire directly from the battery to the solenoid and see if it will run with that.
Just an idea,
Phil

Check the run/stop solenoid hasn't burnt out, on the rear facing surface of the injection jump body there is usually a round solenoid (1 or 1.1/4 inch dia) held on by 2 allen key headed bolts (4 or 5mm key). Remove the solenoid and try starting the engine, it should run, to stop the engine use the lever on the side of the injection pump.

These solenoids have a habit of burning out, IMO due to the heat in enclosed spaces under covers.

hth

zzr

Last edited:
I'd go with what TreeCo says. When starting the cut offs are usually overridden.

id check the oil /fluids might be low if not replace the starter switch. hope you get it fixed soon, loading brush by hand is no fun.

shut down

follow the oil pressure switch wire back and see if it goes into a square block. Do you have to press a small button down while you turn the key to start? If you do you have a engine protection system, check the fuse in the square block(sometimes called a Murphy switch) if its good I'd have to say the Murphy switch is bad. Hope this helps.

problem solved

Ive fixed the problem..hoorah..!

A simple blown 5amp fuse behind the throttle controls..i didnt look there straight away as the 4 bolts holding the throttle cover on had all siezed and i didint realise there was a fuse in there :dizzy: . ..anyway after grinding the bolts off..there was the blo@dy duff fuse.. DOH!

thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

spencer

Cheap fixes are always great. But the question is why do one always thinks it is more serious than it is? It seems like you must work on it for an hour or two first before you think of the easy stuff.

Latest posts

Back