Choosing new 50cc saw, Dolmar, Husky, Stihl, Jonsereds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the saws I run is a Dolmar 510. I have really noticed the improvements that antivibration features make in newer saws. My older saws have poor or next to none. I got the 510 with a 18 inch bar and 3/8 .050 chain. The two saw dogs and the Dolmar 64 link chains for this 18 inch bar nearly make this equivalent to a 16 inch actual cut. I put a 20 inch Oregon bar on it to get the depth of cut I needed in cutting up some 32 to 36 inch diameter cottonwoods. When I got the saw I was not aware that the 18 inch Dolmar bar only took a 64 link chain. The saw runs great and cuts through the cottonwoods with the 20 inch bar easily. Has been a pleasure to run. I don't think I will ever notice the additional weight of the aluminum case over the lighter mag case of the 5105, but then I don't cut for a living. Maybe I just enjoy seeing the chips fly so fast and furious that the extra pound isn't a distraction for me.

I, too, am looking for a 50 cc saw that will last for 20 years farm use. I am down to the Husky 353 and the Dolmar PS510.

On the Dolmar, I have always understood that the PS510 has an aluminum crankcase. I called Dolmar and they said magnesium but I don't think so. Other than the added weight vs. the 5105, are there any disadvantages to an aluminum crankcase?

BTW, the Redmax G5300 is identical to the Husky 353 and is currently cheaper. All parts should interchange; disadvantage is that Husky dealers may not service and certainly won't honor the warranty. Both saws have a magnesium crankcase and both are made in Japan.

I for one am not so fast to dismiss the 450 husqvarna. I have used one quite a bit and for the occasoinal cutter who needs a good dependable, easy starting saw that is also fairly light..........these are good saws. I own a few "plastic" case husqvarna saws and while they may not last 20+ years like many mag case saws, for general use and even significant firewood cutting, mine have performed very well and have held up very well. As with anything else, take good care of what you have and it will last you a good while.

The Husky 450 is currently available from Amicks superstore in Asheboro NC for $339 (you may have to ask for this price by email). A friend of mine has one and it is a great cutting saw. I looked at these, but still I wonder about the plastic instead of metal crankcase, so I have backed off.

Hey, I happen to think my saw looks very nice. With the black top, I think it looks better than the Dolmar variation. It kind of makes me want to buy a Dolmar cover for my Makita versions of the 7900's.

Buy the Dolmar and never look back. It is in your price range, will last, and meets your needs. Many of the guys here mean well but are blinded by brand loyalty or are hung up on that it has to be a pro saw. The 510 is a good saw for your requirements.

Good solid advice; rep sent.

I have a Jonsered 2150 and have run the snot out of it and it hasn't let me down. I bought it before I knew the differance between homeowner and pro. I think a Husky 450 would be a good choice.

But if I were looking at a new 50 cc saw I would go with an Efco. Even if money wasn't an issue. Check Ebay for the John Deeres. Same saw as an Efco. There is a 50 and a 46 cc on right now and you'll get them in your price range for sure,. My neighbor runs a 62 and a 46 JD, and he loves them. I've run both and like them.

this seems like the deal

You need to go shopping and buy the better saw. You should be able to buy one for $440-$465.

Interested in a very lightly used MS261? I can get you one shipped to you for $500. I'll even mod the muffler and retune for free.
I don't know brad personally but I own a 260 and a 346xp . If the 261 is an improvement over the 260 this should be your best bet. this guys rep is outstanding on here and by watching his videos he knows how to treat equipment. Good arguments for all these saws but from personal experience stihls last and are totally dependable. I have the first homeowner stihl I ever bought and except for a carb kit it has run for 20 yrs . Nothing special either a little 021 jmho

If you can save the money buy the ported MS 261. I have the MS 250 18" B&C which I gave too my cousin. One tuff little saw. I decided too buy the MS 261 20" B&C. For the type of wood that I was cutting. There is a huge difference going up too the Pro saws.

Brad that is very generous, I appreciate the offer. That is a good deal and your expert mod and tuning is definitely worth a lot too if I can make the money work somehow. What bar/chain is on it?

I will also keep an eye on that xp on ebay, thanks for the link Jim, that is very nice of you to take the time to look that up. Right now it's at $376 but reserve not met yet. I'll see where that goes.

I'm sorry to irritate people with budget details, I know it is a pain in the rear but income is down so an extra $100-$200 is a big deal to me right now. I didn't plan on buying a saw this just happened out of the blue and I'm scrambling a bit. I'll try and shut up about the money from here on out.

Budget has to be a concern, Carl, so I say keep going. We are occasional users on a site full of folks that use their saws every day.

I'm still open to suggestions but the 510 is in the lead for now. Are there any drawbacks to the 510 that haven't come out yet? I heard the 5100 series had issues running lean and needed extra attention. Is there anyting like that with the 510? I like what Justin said about his dad's 510 just being ready to cut without having to tune it first. I perform regular maintenance but I'm not a mechanic and don't want to have to tinker with a saw and screw it up.

The problem, Carl is that you're asking a bunch of saw enthusiasts about what to get & of course we're all going to tell you to "go pro" but in reality the 510 would probably serve you fine. in fact, based on what you're saying (which, like i said, reminds me a little of my dad's needs) the 510 might actually be a better choice than the 5105.

The 5100 did have a reputation for burning up (although many of us have used them & loved them) but I believe that was due, in large part, to poor dealer set up (I know at least 2 people who ordered dolmars from 2 separate dealers & were just handed a saw in a box - not even fueled, let alone tested/started!!). That said, the 5105 does seem to have the main issues fixed, although its sacrificed a little speed in the process.

The link to nmurph's dolkita (its a makita with some dolmar parts - dolmar makes the makita line after all) is a really good option to consider. Although obviously you may prefer to get it from a local dealer who can help you in the future & will almost certainly do a retune for you for free once it has 6-10 tanks of gas through it.

No matter what you decide, good luck - and dont worry about 'asking too many questions' - we are all here because we like it :p :)

If you want a good running saw for 10 years buy a plastic case saw. I have seen clam shell saws only last 8-10 years with only weekend use during camping season and a bit of firewood cutting. My 032 has been cutting wood for over 30 years with only the chain, bar, and spark plug being replaced. This saw is a homeowner saw but built to todays pro standards, if you want your saw to last a few lifetimes it is best to buy a pro model, that is why people recommend them over the plastic clam shell home owner saws of today. I have saws that are are 40 and even 50 years old that run as they would brand new and none of them are made of plastic so there must be something to this all metal pro construction. I am a weekend warrior, not a pro, but my saws are.

If you want a good running saw for 10 years buy a plastic case saw. I have seen clam shell saws only last 8-10 years with only weekend use during camping season and a bit of firewood cutting.
What happened to these clamshell saws that took them out of commission?

Latest posts

Back